Contributor License Agreement for PAPI?

Postby Al Grant » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:22 am

I've got some new PAPI->libpfm mappings I'd like to contribute
for ARM and I was wondering what the legal terms would be for
any contribution? For other open source projects there is usually
some kind of Contributor License Agreement. But I can't see
anything for PAPI.
Al Grant

Re: Contributor License Agreement for PAPI?

Postby jagode00 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:14 pm

Al,

PAPI is an open source project with a license that conforms to the BSD License template. In the spirit of open academic collaboration we welcome and greatly appreciate patches and updates from the community. Usually they are sent to the PAPI mailing list and the PAPI core developers will review them, make changes if necessary, apply the patches, and commit the changes to the PAPI repository.

The team is mostly centralized here at the University of Tennessee (UTK) with a few exceptions. Although Phil Mucci, the founder of PAPI, is not physically located in Tennessee, he is still affiliated with UTK and of course part of the team. Vince Weaver, who is now an Assistant Professor at the University of Maine, remains part of the PAPI team as we have joint PAPI-related projects and he continues to contribute valuable PAPI updates and developments.

Also, part of the PAPI release is libpfm4 which is developed and maintained by Stephane Eranian (at Google). libpfm4 was developed for use with perf_events (among other interfaces), and it provides a mapping mechanism to refer to implementation specific hardware events by name (otherwise one would have to use the raw events in perf in order to get access to those implementation specific events, which can be tedious.)
Since PAPI uses libpfm4 to access these implementation specific events, we include the latest libpfm4 in the standard PAPI git tree and it is also part of the official PAPI releases. (However, libpfm4 is also available via its own GIT tree on the perfmon2 website)

Last but not least, there is a worldwide community of support around the PAPI project, which is remarkably strong. We always encourage to support each other not only with patches and updates, but also by responding to questions and bug reports posted to the PAPI mailing lists.

We are looking forward to working with you and your team.
Please don't hesitate to reach out to us for more details.

Thanks,
Heike
jagode00

Return to General discussion (read-only)