LAPACK Archives

[Lapack] [Fwd: LAPACK documentation doubt]

Hello,

there is no driver for the banded SVD problem in LAPACK. Basically if you
want to solve the banded SVD problem what the documentation is saying is
that you need to do it yourself.

There is one driver for general matrix SVD problem (xGESVD), it calls
xGEBRD (reduction of a general matrix to bidiagonal form) and then xBDSQR
(compute the singular values of a bidiagonal matrix using QR algorithm).

To make your own driver for the banded matrix SVD problem, you first call
xGBBRD (reduction of a banded matrix to bidiagonal form) and then xBDSQR
(compute the singular values of a bidiagonal matrix using QR algorithm).

If you want both singular vector basis as well, you can call xGBBRD with
option VECT='B' (or 'Q' if only left or 'P' if only right), and give those
vectors to xBDSQR with NCVT and NRU correctly set.

I have never tried it personnally but that's what I understand from the
documentation.

Best wishes,
Julien Langou.