LAPACK Archives

[Lapack] clarification in BLAS Quick Ref.

Hi.

Could you please help me clarify what is meant by

     For complex symmetric matrices, TRANSx = `H' is not allowed.

written on page 3 of the BLAS Quick Reference Guide [1]?

That statement seems unclear to me because:

     (i) TRANSx is only defined for values N, T, and C, but not H;

     (ii) just before that statement we have

         For Hermitian matrices, TRANSx = `T' is not allowed.

     Aren't complex symmetric matrices the same as Hermitian matrices?
If so, why having two separate statements about the same subject?

Thanks,
Felipe.

[1] BLAS Quick Reference Guide
<http://www.netlib.org/blas/blasqr.ps>