LAPACK Archives

[Lapack] extra multiplications in daxpy

Hello,

I have a problem with subroutine daxpy.
I would like to add simply two vectors x and y, without multiplying
x or y by a constant coefficient da.

If I use daxpy, I have to set da = 1.d0 The problem is that, even if da is
equal to
one, da is used to multiply the coefficient of the x vector:
 do 10 i = 1,n
        dy(iy) = dy(iy) + da*dx(ix)

So, instead of n additions, the subroutine does n additions AND n
multiplications.
I would like to know the reason for these extra n multiplications.Why
not a test comparing alpha to 1.d0 ?
Is there another routine in BLAS to avoid these extra n multiplications ?

The same problems arises when I need to compute the product of a matrix and a
vector (dgemv) and the product of two matrix. (dgemm).

Thank you very much for your answer to this question !

Yours faithfully,

Jerome Bureau

P.S. I apologize if this question has already been answered somewhere else, I
wasn't able
to find the answer.

D??couvrez une nouvelle fa??on d'obtenir des r??ponses ?? toutes vos questions
!
Profitez des connaissances, des opinions et des exp??riences des internautes
sur Yahoo! Questions/R??ponses
http://fr.answers.yahoo.com