LAPACK Archives

[Lapack] Outdated lapack.lib

This is a follow up email to one sent earlier.

Background information:
*******************************
We have an 10-year old program that utilizes Visual C++ as well as Fortran.

We are trying to migrate this from this environment:
1. Visual C++ 6
2. Compaq Visual Fortran 6
3. MS Fortran PowerStation 4.0

To this environment:
1. Visual Studio 2008
2. Intel Visual Fortran 11

Unfortunately, there is ONE Fortran function in a LAPACK library that
was compiled using the older environment (PowerStation 4.0).

And I cannot find this function DPOSVM in any of the updated LAPACK
source code.  (although DPOSV exists)

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

LAPACK: DPOSVM & DPOSV ISSUE
=================================

        0. Problem: There exists a function DPOSVM that does not exist in the
newer LAPACK versions.
                    There is, however a function called DPOSV that does exist.
                    Newest LAPACK Source code has been compiled and DPOSV is
able to
be called from the
                        latest LAPACK library (using this newest source code)

        1. Function call for dposvm (ADSAP.C)
           DPOSVM(&nopt,&nrhs,H,&nopt,E,&nopt,&error);

        2. Function call for dposv (ADSAP.C)
           DPOSV(&uplo,&nopt,&nrhs,H,&nopt,E,&nopt,&error);

        3. The following comments were made within the code in the file ADSAP.C:

                /* Solve system. Cholesky decomposition. LAPACK routine */
                /* if error, H is not positive definite or bad input */
                /* Solution is Newton step, returned in E */

                /*DPOSV(&uplo,&nopt,&nrhs,H,&nopt,E,&nopt,&error);

                We call function dposvm instead of dposv, because we can not
pass
                uplo character fro "c" file " to "fortran" file.*/

                DPOSVM(&nopt,&nrhs,H,&nopt,E,&nopt,&error);

        4. Apparently, DPOSVM was used instead of DPOSV due to
incompatibility with C and Fortran.

        5. COmmenting out DPOSVM and taking the commenting markers off of
DPOSV results in a workable
           executable. I.E., re-establish DPOSV as the primary function

        6. The effects on the executable, however, are UNKNOWN.  Further
testing is required.

        7. Questions:
                a. Why was DPOSVM used?
                b. Was it part of the original LAPACK.lib (this is assumed but
needs
to be verified)?
                c. What is uplo character?
                d. Perhaps with Visual Studio 2008 and Intel Fortran Visual
Studio
the shortcomings
                   of DPOSV have been resolved and DPOSVM is no longer needed?

        8. Possible Solutions:
                a. Use DPOSV instead of DPOSVM (if no adverse effects on
program)
                b. Find updated DPOSVM source code