LAPACK Archives

[Lapack] dsyev and dsyevd

Dear LAPACK,

I have been using subroutines dsyev and dsyevd to compute the eigenvectors
and eigenvalues of a symmetric 8x8 matrix. the matrix formed by these
eigenvectors should form a unitary matrix and therefore be the basis of a
unitary transformation. When I test the unitariy of the resulting matrix I
find that it is quite inaccurate. In particular I find that the scalar
product of two of the eigenvectors is 3.8D-5. this is far less accurate
than I would like. As I need to perform at least 40,000 unitary
transformations in my dynamical calculations such a large error allows a
large build-up of errors and renders my calculations invalid.

All my variables are double precision. Can you advise as to how I can
improve the accuracy of my eigenvectors.

Gabriel Balint-Kurti
Professor of Theoretical Chemistry

Gabriel Balint-Kurti
Centre for Computational Chemistry