LAPACK Archives

[Lapack] [lapack] 32-bit GCC errors

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011, julie langou wrote:

MARK,
I did run by hand on a similar machine with gfortran 4.1.2 and my output is
the same than you.
I looked at the error closer and this INFO ERROR is returned as there is a
numerical problem, so this can be considered also a numerical error.

Here is our nightly built system :http://my.cdash.org/index.php?project=LAPACK
I am going to add a 32 built on a 64 bits machine.

I will update installation.hints after the next release so that user can
compare their output to the one expected.

Thanks for checking this Julie. I'll treat this an expected fail for the
time being.

Thanks for pointing me at your dashboard - very interesting!

I wasn't going to bring-up my experences with the PGI compiler, but I
cannot help but notice it's not on the dashboard, so...

The output I get with PGI in 32-bit mode looks fairly normal, but I get
850 numerical errors in 64-bit - which is between the 500 and 1000
thresholds you mentioned in your previous email.

Is this also normal? I've appended the output below.

Thanks,

Mark
Mark Dixon                       Email    : m.c.dixon@Domain.Removed
HPC/Grid Systems Support         Tel (int): 35429
Information Systems Services     Tel (ext): +44(0)113 343 5429
University of Leeds, LS2 9JT, UK

bit-64-pgi-10.0 (everything built with "-O0 -Kieee")

  RESULTS
      - numerical failure:
  CST drivers:      1 out of  11664 tests failed to pass the threshold
  CPB drivers:      3 out of   4750 tests failed to pass the threshold
  CLS drivers:      1 out of  65268 tests failed to pass the threshold
  DXV drivers:    200 out of   5000 tests failed to pass the threshold
  DST drivers:      2 out of  14256 tests failed to pass the threshold
  DBD drivers:     56 out of   8360 tests failed to pass the threshold
  DBD drivers:     56 out of   8360 tests failed to pass the threshold
  DBD drivers:     56 out of   8360 tests failed to pass the threshold
  DBD drivers:     56 out of   8360 tests failed to pass the threshold
  DBD drivers:     56 out of   8360 tests failed to pass the threshold
  SXV drivers:     37 out of   5000 tests failed to pass the threshold
  SBD drivers:     56 out of   8360 tests failed to pass the threshold
  SBD drivers:     56 out of   8360 tests failed to pass the threshold
  SBD drivers:     56 out of   8360 tests failed to pass the threshold
  SBD drivers:     56 out of   8360 tests failed to pass the threshold
  SBD drivers:     56 out of   8360 tests failed to pass the threshold
  SPB drivers:      1 out of   4750 tests failed to pass the threshold
  SLS drivers:      3 out of  65268 tests failed to pass the threshold
  ZXV drivers:     24 out of   5000 tests failed to pass the threshold
  CST:    1 out of  4662 tests failed to pass the threshold
  CPB:     11 out of   3458 tests failed to pass the threshold
  DST:    1 out of  4662 tests failed to pass the threshold
  DST:    1 out of  4662 tests failed to pass the threshold
  SST:    1 out of  4662 tests failed to pass the threshold
  ZST:    1 out of  4662 tests failed to pass the threshold
  ZST:    1 out of  4662 tests failed to pass the threshold
  ZST:    1 out of  4662 tests failed to pass the threshold
  value of largest test error             =    0.189E+01
  value of largest test error             =    0.160D+01
  value of largest test error             =    0.197E+01
  value of largest test error             =    0.189D+01
  value of largest test error                  =   0.148D+01
      - illegal error:     0
      - info error:        0
      - severe error       0

bit-32-pgi-10.0 (everything built with "-O0 -Kieee")

  RESULTS
      - numerical failure:
  CST drivers:      1 out of  11664 tests failed to pass the threshold
  DXV drivers:    200 out of   5000 tests failed to pass the threshold
  DST drivers:      1 out of  14256 tests failed to pass the threshold
  SXV drivers:     37 out of   5000 tests failed to pass the threshold
  ZXV drivers:     24 out of   5000 tests failed to pass the threshold
  ZST drivers:      1 out of  11664 tests failed to pass the threshold