LAPACK Archives

[Lapack] Licence for some old EISPACK routines

Dear LAPACK team,

I am contacting you because of the following problem that we have with some
old EISPACK routines that came up recently because of a peculiarity in the
German copyright law.

In the moment it seems that we can solve the problem only when we contact
you and ask for help or advise.

The situation is the following:

We have a CFD code system and we assign licenses to customers to let them use
the code system.
One part of the code system has been written by an external partner. Within this
part our external partner uses three old FORTRAN routines from EISPACK. He wrote
his part of the system in the end of the 80s and he uses exact copies of the
routines
CBAL, CORTH and COMQR which can be found today on
http://www.netlib.org/eispack/.

It seems that nowhere in world there is an official license for these routines
which permits
their use within a commercial software.

According to the German copyright law it is prohibited for us to give third
party software to
a customer without a license. Here, this would be the case with the three
EISPACK routines.
It even may happen that somebody else could bring our customer to trial because
he used
software parts which have not been properly licensed to him. In such a case,
our customer
could enforce indemnity claims against us.

We know that the easiest way out is to replace the old EISPACK routines by the
LAPACK
library and we would love to do so. But our external partner refuses this
option.

Now, we are looking for another easy and harmonic way to solve this problem
before we
continue arguing with our external partner or before go new ways.

This would be a direct license or another written statement that we have the
permission to use
the EISPACK routines within a commercial software. For this purpose, an email
would be sufficient.

My question is: Is there any possibility to get such a statement or license
from you? Do you know
anybody else who could give us such a statement or license? Do you know anybody
else who may
be of help for us? Do you have any other idea how we could use the old EISPACK
routines?

Any answer, any hint or any idea will be highly appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,
Andreas

--------------------------
Dr. Andreas Krumbein
Team Lead Turbulence & Transition
Deutsches Zentrum f?r Luft- und Raumfahrt e.V. (DLR)
German Aerospace Center
C?A?S?E Center for Computer Applications in AeroSpace Science and Engineering
Institute of Aerodynamics and Flow Technology | Bunsenstra?e 10 | 37073
G?ttingen | Germany
Telephone +49 551 709 2557 | Telefax +49 551 709 2416
Institute of Aerodynamics and Flow Technology | Lilienthalplatz 7 | 38108
Braunschweig | Germany
Telephone +49 531 295 3622
www.DLR.de<http://www.dlr.de/>