LAPACK Archives

[Lapack] bugs in ilaenv.c

Dear CLAPACK maintainers,

There are various bugs in ilaenv.c that seem to have been introduced in
3.2.1. They are not present in 3.1.1.1.

Line 42:   char subnam[1];
Line 245: s_copy(c2, subnam + 1, (ftnlen)1, (ftnlen)2);
Line 246: s_copy(c2, subnam + 3, (ftnlen)1, (ftnlen)3);

Because string subnam is only defined with length of one character,
subnam + 1 and subnam + 3 refer to unallocated memory. There is more
confusion in the code about the length of subnam:

Line 188: s_copy(subnam, name__, (ftnlen)1, name_len);
Line 197:
         ic = *(unsigned char *)&subnam[i__ - 1];

So it is again operating in unallocated memory and valgrind's memory
checker will spew out tons of errors even on the test programs. If I
compile my program against CLAPACK 3.1.1.1 instead of 3.2.1 there are no
errors.

Thanks,
   Steven

dispose of the e-mail.