LAPACK Archives

[Lapack] NaN propagation in BLAS

Hi all,

1) Below is an email that we just received from some R & redhat folks about NaN
propagation in the BLAS. Please read the email discussion between them and I.
I summarized their request in my reply to them. (So you can just read my
answer.)

2) Please see as well my question to them. Starting with: "A related question.
How do you feel about the other of IF statements if DGEMM?? (I do not have an
answer yet from them.)

3) Please see as well:
http://icl.cs.utk.edu/lapack-forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4499

4) Please see as well email from Jim (Demmel) to Penny Andrerson (MathWorks)
"[LAPACK-DEV] NaNs and consistent exception handling" from DEC-14-2012.

So basically this is the recurring of issue of NaN propagation.

1) I think we will apply the patch of these guys. Reason: I am OK with keeping
the non-propagation of NaNs when ALPHA and BETA have special values (for now),
but this non-propagation here is really weird. It is specific to the JLI
variant of DGEMM, it applies when an entry of B is ZERO, pfff . . . Oh my. I
just have a headache to think what the output would look like. There would be
NaN at some places in C, no NaN at other places. A mess. I am OK with keeping
the non-propagation of NaNs when ALPHA and BETA have special values (for now),
but not based on values of the entries of the matrices A and B.

(Does this make sense?)

2) We can rethink the NaN propagation in DGEMM (and BLAS in general) for values
of ALPHA and BETA. (???) So bottom line: do we want the reference DGEMM to just
be three loops and propagate everything? I think this is more a question for
users, super-users, etc. Jim might have some answers with his related projects.

3) Note: Strassen version of DGEMM will not propagate NaN correctly. Too many
NaNs will be created. (Just a random comment, I was just thinking about this.)

Cheers,
Julien.

Begin forwarded message: