ScaLAPACK Archives

[Scalapack] Scalapack on Linux-MPI-Cluster Error compiling tests

Hello Julie!

I've now tried the installer and my success rate was merely the same as before,
although it's really very much easier to poke around with different
compilers/MPI implementations and LaPACK/BLAS libraries.
Big thanks for giving me that hint about the installer!

But some questions and problems still persist:
1. In general, why do all librarys only produce statically linked files? My
boss pointed out, that we would normally try to use dynamically linked librarys
wherever possible. However, I am relatively new to the whole subject so I can't
figure out for myself why you only produce static libraries. Could you explain
to me why you do it all statically? ;)

2. At the moment I'm only using gcc (4.1.2). (Although there is also the intel,
pathscale, open64, sun, etc compilers ...)
On the other hand, I've got native HP-Platform-MPI, MVAPICH and OpenMPI as MPI
libraries and ATLAS and ACML as lapack/blas libraries.

a) [using atlas and openmpi]
Mileage is totally varying there... It seems that our ATLAS libraries are
simply not useable, the installer complains about bot BLAS and LAPACK (see
error messages #1 and #2 below).
When I use --downblas and --downlapack compiling scalapack with tests does
work, so my conclusion was that (our) atlas library is somehow wrong.

b) [using acml and the native mpi]
 In this case I can at least use the BLAS library that acml provides, but their
lapack implementation seems to miss something again, too. Again, when compiling
with --downlapack or --notesting, all installing is going well.

So it seems as I am able to compile the scalapack library in all cases, but
there's always problems with the test cases.
And I think that the whole thing can't be totally sane, if I can't compile and
run these tests. Agreeable, isn't it?

3. I had to edit the python scripts at some places, where programs using mpi
have to be run in order to test blacs, for example. Our environment uses an
'mpirun -np 2 -hostlist "host..." ./program' syntax to deploy programs that use
mpi! As an enhancement you could add that as an option to the
scalapack-installer ;)

Kind of complicating, I know! But if you could tell me about combinations of
libraries that you know to be working, that would already be some help for me!

Thank you for your time and patience
Greetings
Moritz

Attached Error messages:

#1: using gcc, atlas and openmpi

BLAS: provided BLAS cannot be used! aborting...
error is:
/tmp/ccWx1NUq.o: In function `MAIN__':
tmpf.f:(.text+0x4b): undefined reference to `dscal_'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

#2: using gcc, atlas, openmpi and --downblas

LAPACK: provided LAPACK cannot be used! aborting...
error is:
/usr/local/cluster/atlas/current_gcc/lib/liblapack.a(ATL_f77wrap_dgetrf.o): In
function `atl_f77wrap_dgetrf_':
ATL_f77wrap_getrf.c:(.text+0xde): undefined reference to `ATL_xerbla'
/usr/local/cluster/atlas/current_gcc/lib/liblapack.a(ATL_dgetrfC.o): In
function `ATL_dgetrfC':
ATL_getrfC.c:(.text+0x112): undefined reference to `cblas_dtrsm'
ATL_getrfC.c:(.text+0x172): undefined reference to `cblas_dgemm'
ATL_getrfC.c:(.text+0x29e): undefined reference to `cblas_idamax'
ATL_getrfC.c:(.text+0x365): undefined reference to `cblas_idamax'
ATL_getrfC.c:(.text+0x3b2): undefined reference to `cblas_dscal'
ATL_getrfC.c:(.text+0x46c): undefined reference to `cblas_dtrsm'
ATL_getrfC.c:(.text+0x4b7): undefined reference to `cblas_idamax'
ATL_getrfC.c:(.text+0x54d): undefined reference to `cblas_dscal'
ATL_getrfC.c:(.text+0x5a7): undefined reference to `cblas_dscal'
/usr/local/cluster/atlas/current_gcc/lib/liblapack.a(ATL_dgetrfR.o): In
function `ATL_dgetrfR':
ATL_getrfR.c:(.text+0xee): undefined reference to `cblas_dtrsm'
ATL_getrfR.c:(.text+0x14a): undefined reference to `cblas_dgemm'
ATL_getrfR.c:(.text+0x21c): undefined reference to `cblas_idamax'
ATL_getrfR.c:(.text+0x26b): undefined reference to `cblas_dscal'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status