ScaLAPACK Archives

[Scalapack] Scalapack on Linux-MPI-Cluster Error compiling tests

Hello Moritz

Hello Julie!

I've now tried the installer and my success rate was merely the same as
before, although it's really very much easier to poke around with different
compilers/MPI implementations and LaPACK/BLAS libraries.
Big thanks for giving me that hint about the installer!

But some questions and problems still persist:
1. In general, why do all librarys only produce statically linked files? My
boss pointed out, that we would normally try to use dynamically linked
librarys wherever possible. However, I am relatively new to the whole subject
so I can't figure out for myself why you only produce static libraries. Could
you explain to me why you do it all statically? ;)
Not sure about the historic reason but do not worry both are fine.

2. At the moment I'm only using gcc (4.1.2). (Although there is also the
intel, pathscale, open64, sun, etc compilers ...)
On the other hand, I've got native HP-Platform-MPI, MVAPICH and OpenMPI as
MPI libraries and ATLAS and ACML as lapack/blas libraries.
Best is gcc because there is no tricky flag to set and his performance are
really good.

a) [using atlas and openmpi]
Mileage is totally varying there... It seems that our ATLAS libraries are
simply not useable, the installer complains about bot BLAS and LAPACK (see
error messages #1 and #2 below).
When I use --downblas and --downlapack compiling scalapack with tests does
work, so my conclusion was that (our) atlas library is somehow wrong.
no ATLAS cannot be the LAPACK library.  you just need a "real" LAPACK, ATLAS is
only an implementation of BLAS with only a subset of LAPACK inside.

b) [using acml and the native mpi]
In this case I can at least use the BLAS library that acml provides, but
their lapack implementation seems to miss something again, too. Again, when
compiling with --downlapack or --notesting, all installing is going well.

So it seems as I am able to compile the scalapack library in all cases, but
there's always problems with the test cases.
And I think that the whole thing can't be totally sane, if I can't compile
and run these tests. Agreeable, isn't it?
Same you really want the -downlapack to make sure you get the latest netlib
LAPACK.

3. I had to edit the python scripts at some places, where programs using mpi
have to be run in order to test blacs, for example. Our environment uses an
'mpirun -np 2 -hostlist "host..." ./program' syntax to deploy programs that
use mpi! As an enhancement you could add that as an option to the
scalapack-installer ;)
I believe you can set a file somewhere to declare your hosts.

Kind of complicating, I know! But if you could tell me about combinations of
libraries that you know to be working, that would already be some help for me!

So in summary, gnu compilers / any mpi / netlib lapack [--downlapack] / and
your favorite BLAS ACML seems fine so go for it]
For ATLAS you should be able to use it, maybe you need a newer version or you
need to recompile it...no clue here

Good luck
Julie

Thank you for your time and patience
Greetings
Moritz

Attached Error messages:

#1: using gcc, atlas and openmpi

BLAS: provided BLAS cannot be used! aborting...
error is:
/tmp/ccWx1NUq.o: In function `MAIN__':
tmpf.f:(.text+0x4b): undefined reference to `dscal_'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

#2: using gcc, atlas, openmpi and --downblas

LAPACK: provided LAPACK cannot be used! aborting...
error is:
/usr/local/cluster/atlas/current_gcc/lib/liblapack.a(ATL_f77wrap_dgetrf.o):
In function `atl_f77wrap_dgetrf_':
ATL_f77wrap_getrf.c:(.text+0xde): undefined reference to `ATL_xerbla'
/usr/local/cluster/atlas/current_gcc/lib/liblapack.a(ATL_dgetrfC.o): In
function `ATL_dgetrfC':
ATL_getrfC.c:(.text+0x112): undefined reference to `cblas_dtrsm'
ATL_getrfC.c:(.text+0x172): undefined reference to `cblas_dgemm'
ATL_getrfC.c:(.text+0x29e): undefined reference to `cblas_idamax'
ATL_getrfC.c:(.text+0x365): undefined reference to `cblas_idamax'
ATL_getrfC.c:(.text+0x3b2): undefined reference to `cblas_dscal'
ATL_getrfC.c:(.text+0x46c): undefined reference to `cblas_dtrsm'
ATL_getrfC.c:(.text+0x4b7): undefined reference to `cblas_idamax'
ATL_getrfC.c:(.text+0x54d): undefined reference to `cblas_dscal'
ATL_getrfC.c:(.text+0x5a7): undefined reference to `cblas_dscal'
/usr/local/cluster/atlas/current_gcc/lib/liblapack.a(ATL_dgetrfR.o): In
function `ATL_dgetrfR':
ATL_getrfR.c:(.text+0xee): undefined reference to `cblas_dtrsm'
ATL_getrfR.c:(.text+0x14a): undefined reference to `cblas_dgemm'
ATL_getrfR.c:(.text+0x21c): undefined reference to `cblas_idamax'
ATL_getrfR.c:(.text+0x26b): undefined reference to `cblas_dscal'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status