ScaLAPACK Archives

[Scalapack] scalapack-1.8.0 bug report

Hello,

during some internal tests at IBM with the XL compilers on POWER6/7, we
believe we have found a bug in the following files :

pcheev.f
pcheevx.f
pdsyev.f
pdsyevx.f
pssyev.f
pssyevx.f
pzheev.f
pzheevx.f

IROFFZ and IZROW are not initialized in case WANTZ evaluates to .FALSE.
With aggressive compiler optimizations, these unitialized variables will
not necessarily be 0 and could (and do) take any value leading to errors
further down. A possible outcome would be, for the xdsep test for example
:

{ 0, 0}: On entry to PDSYEV parameter number 10 had an illegal value
{ 0, 0}: On entry to PDSYEV parameter number 10 had an illegal value
PDSYEV returned INFO= -10
PDSYEV failed the |AQ -QE| test
PDSYEV failed the |QTQ -I| test

but we've had much worse failures : segfaults and even MPI hangs that we
are still investigating.

I wish there would be a tool to warn about the use of possibly unitialized
variables...

FTNCHEK Version 3.3 November 2004, finds a few "set but unused variables"
but that's all.

FTNCHEK Version 3.3 November 2004

File pdsyev.f:

Warning in module PDSYEV in file pdsyev.f: Variables set but never used:
    FIVE set at line 245 file pdsyev.f
    IERRCLS set at line 247 file pdsyev.f
    IERREBZ set at line 248 file pdsyev.f
    IERREIN set at line 247 file pdsyev.f
    IERRSPC set at line 247 file pdsyev.f
    MB_Z set at line 339 file pdsyev.f
    NB_Z set at line 338 file pdsyev.f
    TEN set at line 245 file pdsyev.f

Online Fortran checkers like http://www.lahey.com/check.htm or
ftp://spdg1.sci.shizuoka.ac.jp/pub/f77chk/ didn't do a better job.

Salutations/Regards.
Dr. Francois THOMAS, IBM Certified Professional, Deep Computing Europe,
ATS PSSC
Tel : (33)-4-67344061, GSM : (33)-6-83258855 Fax : (33)-4-67346477
ft@Domain.Removed, ICQ# 95392338, gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys
0x1700B256

Compagnie IBM France
Si?ge Social : 17 avenue de l'Europe, 92275 Bois-Colombes Cedex
RCS Nanterre 552 118 465
Forme Sociale : S.A.S.
Capital Social : 639.291.962.10 ?
SIREN/SIRET : 552 118 465 03644 - Code NAF 6202A