ScaLAPACK Archives

[Scalapack] Problem building ScaLapack on OSX Mavericks

Hey Umberto (& scaLapack team via cc),

I?ve run into trouble building ScaLapack on OSX Mavericks.

I download ScaLapack 2.0.2 from http://www.netlib.org/scalapack/index.html and:

p-book:Downloads root# cd "scalapack-2.0.2 2"

p-book:scalapack-2.0.2 2 root# pwd
/Users/pi/Downloads/scalapack-2.0.2 2

p-book:scalapack-2.0.2 2 root# make
Makefile:17: SLmake.inc: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `SLmake.inc'.  Stop.

p-book:scalapack-2.0.2 2 root# cp SLmake.inc.example SLmake.inc

p-book:scalapack-2.0.2 2 root# make
( cd BLACS; /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make lib )
( cd SRC ; make )
mpicc  -c -DAdd_ -O3 BI_HypBS.c
mpicc  -c -DAdd_ -O3 BI_HypBR.c
mpicc  -c -DAdd_ -O3 BI_IdringBS.c
mpicc  -c -DAdd_ -O3 BI_IdringBR.c
:
:
(lots)
:
:
mpif90 -c -O3 pslaed0.f
mpif90 -c -O3 pslaed1.f
mpif90 -c -O3 pslaed2.f
mpif90 -c -O3 pslaed3.f
mpif90 -c -O3 pslaedz.f
mpicc  -c -DAdd_ -O3 pslaiect.c
mpif90 -c -O3 pslamch.f
mpif90 -c -O3 pslared1d.f
mpif90 -c -O3 pslasrt.f
mpif90 -c -O3 psstebz.f
psstebz.f: In function 'psstebz':
psstebz.f:1:0: internal compiler error: in slpeel_update_phi_nodes_for_guard1,
at tree-vect-loop-manip.c:486
       SUBROUTINE PSSTEBZ( ICTXT, RANGE, ORDER, N, VL, VU, IL, IU,
 ^

psstebz.f:1:0: internal compiler error: Abort trap: 6
gfortran: internal compiler error: Abort trap: 6 (program f951)
make[1]: *** [psstebz.o] Error 6
make: *** [scalapacklib] Error 2

Googling slpeel_update_phi_nodes_for_guard1, I get a post from only four days
ago: http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/306552/   so it looks as though someone
has found a bug in ? gcc???

But the line that fails is mpif90 -c -O3 psstebz.f  so it is the mpif90
compiler that it is failing.  Maybe this is derived from gcc?   And then it
says 'gfortran: internal compiler error? ? I?m confused.

- - -

Umberto,

I've been looking for a prebuilt scalapack,  I found a page with several:
http://www.netlib.org/scalapack/archives/

However, it does say on that page:
#       ****
#       NOTE:  The ScaLAPACK archives available here contain
#       ****   all routines needed to run ScaLAPACK applications,
#              with the exception of the BLAS and the BLACS libraries.
And I failed to get BLACS to compile independently when I tried yesterday. So
it would be much better if I can get the compilation working, then I can get
two for the price of one so to speak.
Also none of the architectures matches. Intel/Linux is the closest, so I
downloaded that to have a look. I looked in the SLMake.inc, and found a comment:

#
#  MPI setup; uncomment and tailor to your system if using MPIBLACS
#  Will need to comment out the default native BLACS setup below below
#
USEMPI        = -DUsingMpiBlacs

So it looks as though there is something called MPIBLACS?  which might have
been installed when I installed OpenMPI (following the instructions on
http://intothewave.wordpress.com/2011/12/27/install-open-mpi-on-mac-os-x/)

Reason I?m asking is: is it possible to get Acousto to use MPIBLACS instead of
BLACS?   If so it would be one dependency fewer to set up.

- - -

I?m stuck -- What can I do?   Did you encounter this compiler error?

?

PS Full log: