ScaLAPACK Archives

[Scalapack] scalapack soname

Apparently, scalapack does not set a soname for the shared library, we simply
get libscalapack.so.  Linux distributions strongly disfavor libraries without
sonames, so it appears that different distributions have adopted their own
naming.

Fedora (which currently has scalapack 1.7.5 is using libscalapack.so.1.
Debian (at 1.8.0 it seems) also appears to be using libscalapack.so.1.

With the advent of 2.X, I suspect this might tempt them to bump the soname to
libscalapack.so.2.  However, it is my understanding that scalapack aims for a
strict ABI compatibility.  Heck it doesn't even ship a header/include file
(why?).

Any comments would be appreciated.

--
Orion Poplawski