ScaLAPACK Archives

[Scalapack] Scalapack errorneous output

It works! I did something like what Ed just suggested. Since I already have the 
correct output at each step from the Lapack based code, I looked at how 
different from those are the outputs at each step from the scalapck based code. 
This helped me track down a few wrong distributions and a couple of 
embarrassing typos . Now the difference between final output of the parallel 
version and that of the sequential version is ~0.001%, which I can live with .
The above was a neat way of tracking down bugs in an implementation like this. 
The tips and suggestions really helped. 

For the pivot vector I'm allocating a storage size of (2 X mb) and it works 
currently.
Thanks alot guys!!!
Suzy




     On Monday, May 11, 2015 11:12 AM, "D'Azevedo, Ed F." 
<dazevedoef@Domain.Removed> wrote:
   

 Hi Suzy,
Another simple trick is to initialize the matrix with known values and print 
out the matrices at intermediate steps using pclaprnt with different values of 
output unit.
For example, using pcelset() to make ?A(i,j) = merge( n, -1, i.eq.j). ?You can 
also generate the LU factorization or other matrix computations in matlab to 
compare what went wrong and when.
You might also double check the amount of storage for the pivot vector ipivt(:) 
?in pcgetrf. ?Note it needs extra MB_A storage.
From: Susini de Silva <susini86@Domain.Removed>
Reply-To: Susini de Silva <susini86@Domain.Removed>
Date: Saturday, May 9, 2015 at 7:21 AM
To: James Demmel <demmel@Domain.Removed>
Cc: James W DEMMEL <demmel@Domain.Removed>, Nick Knight 
<knight@Domain.Removed>, SYD HASHEMI GHERMEZI <sydhashemi@Domain.Removed>, 
julie <julie@Domain.Removed>, Orianna DeMasi <ODeMasi@Domain.Removed>, 
"scalapack@Domain.Removed" <scalapack@Domain.Removed>, Hong Diep Nguyen 
<hdnguyen@Domain.Removed>, Razvan Carbunescu <carazvan@Domain.Removed>, Igor 
Kozachenko <igor175@Domain.Removed>
Subject: Re: [Scalapack] Scalapack errorneous output

Hi everyone!
Thanks for the quick responses :)
Ed, Yes I just tried a 1 by 1 proc grid, using the full array dimensions as 
block dimensions. Output is still incorrect. I was working on a 2by2 grid 
before, so let me go through all calls again in the 1process grid and see where 
it goes wrong.To see output during debugging, I have been using mpi calls to 
collect the content in child processors to root processor.
The code uses a combination of pcgetrf/pcgetri/pcgemm/pcgemv in 5 subroutines. 
I have reduced the size of the problem (~ 450by450 or smaller arrays) for this 
testing purpose. But before that I solved a simple 16by16 system using all 
these calls, just to make sure I'm using them correctly, and worked well! ??
Jim, thanks for the tip on possible round off errors/algorithm differences. 
Hopefully I'll catch if this is the case, during the current test.
I'll get back to you guys on how it goes...
thanks again!Suzy


On Wednesday, May 6, 2015 11:11 AM, James Demmel <demmel@Domain.Removed> wrote:


The reason one may expect different answers from LAPACK and ScaLAPACK
includes the facts that
(1) floating point operations may be done in a different order, due to 
parallelism,
and since floating point summation (for example) is not associative, the 
rounding
errors will differ, and you'll get different answers, and
(2) in some cases different algorithms are used in LAPACK and ScaLAPACK since 
the
most efficient parallel algorithm and most efficient sequential algorithm are 
not
necessarily the same.

Depending on the condition number of your problem, either of these may lead to
large or small changes in the output. And of course there may be bugs somewhere 
...

Jim Demmel


On 5/6/15 7:54 AM, julie wrote:


Dear Suzy,?You can send it to the mailing list:?scalapack@Domain.Removed?(just 
reply to my email )Sincerely,Julie

On May 5, 2015, at 12:42 PM, Susini de Silva <susini86@Domain.Removed> wrote:
Hi!

This is a question regarding implementation of Scalapack on an algorithm that 
currently runs correctly using Lapack.

I have been spending a good amount of time editing this very large code that 
uses multiple LAPACK calls to use corresponding scalapack calls instead. I'm 
making sure the operand arrays are distributed, array descriptors are used 
before every call. However the final output of the Scalapack version of my code 
turned out to be significantly different from the final output of Lapack 
version. So I decided to cross compare the outputs after every Lapack/Scalapack 
call. I do see a slight difference. Is this possible? Has anyone seen this 
issue before, or do you know why this could happen? 

Please, I'm at a dead-end at the moment? :shock: , and any comments/suggestions 
would be greatly helpful!
I just made an account on Lapack User Forums and tried to post this. However it 
was flagged as spam even before I submitted it. I'd be really grateful if you 
can help me with this, or direct me to the right resources.
Thanks!Suzy
_______________________________________________
Scalapack mailing list
Scalapack@Domain.Removed
http://lists.eecs.utk.edu/mailman/listinfo/scalapack



 
_______________________________________________
Scalapack mailing list
Scalapack@Domain.Removedp://lists.eecs.utk.edu/mailman/listinfo/scalapack




  
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: 
<http://lists.eecs.utk.edu/mailman/private/scalapack/attachments/20150513/729c6575/attachment.html>

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>


For additional information you may use the LAPACK/ScaLAPACK Forum.
Or one of the mailing lists, or