Beginner: Don't know how to install LAPACK on Windows7/64bit

Post here if you are having problem installing LAPACK on a Windows machine

Beginner: Don't know how to install LAPACK on Windows7/64bit

Postby prosper » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:09 pm

I'm a beginner and actually, only a few weeks ago I still knew nothing about C++. Now I find myself in trouble installing LAPACK.
First I wanna use VC++ 2010 to do some matrix calculation, so I installed Armadillo. Then I find that Armadillo uses LAPACK and BLAS to do some matrix inverse work, and that's why I'm here in trouble.
I have several questions about running LAPACK. Yes, I already read the instructions on http://icl.cs.utk.edu/lapack-for-windows/lapack ; I downloaded all kinds of .dll and .lib file and changed their locations several time to try to compile in VC++2010; I changed the 'Additional Library Directories' on 'Propertire/linker/general' and added liblapack.lib in 'Additional Dependencies' at 'Propertire/linker/input.
I don't understand these:
1. many websites say, LAPACK should be installed somewhere. But all I could do is to download a file(folder) either named 'lapack' or 'lapack-3.4.1'. I couldn't find any install.exe file in the folder. So what does it mean "download"??
2. on the website above, the .dll and .lib files should be downloaded. But where should I put them? Suppose my VC++ 2010 is installed on P:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\, should I put them in this directory? Where should I put or install the 'downloaded' LAPACK package?
3. What does a Reference BLAS mean? If I don't use CMAKE and Mingw to biuld and compile, can I still follow the download steps provided on that website??

This is kind of long. I search every forum and tried every possible method but am still confused. I appreciate it if any1 can help explain at lease a part of my question. Thanks!!
prosper

Re: Beginner: Don't know how to install LAPACK on Windows7/6

Postby prosper » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:52 pm

Anyone help?? Please!!
prosper

Return to Windows