lapack ctest default timeouts should be increased

Post here if you would like to submit a feature request to the LAPACK or ScaLAPACK library

lapack ctest default timeouts should be increased

Postby airwin » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:23 pm

The current default timeouts that are used for the tests run by ctest are currently 1500 seconds per test. This is adequate for most situations, but for the quaduple precision case that is implemented by software rather than hardware, the tests can run slower than ordinary by two orders of magnitude, i.e., a few of the tests require ~1800 seconds to complete
on my fairly fast Intel PC. Thus, I recommend you change that default timeout from 1500 to 15000. (This simple change was agreed to in the general lapack forum discussion in 2011, but it must have gotten lost so I am bringing up this topic again in the feature request part of the forum in hope that some action will be taken.)
airwin

Re: lapack ctest default timeouts should be increased

Postby Julien Langou » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:12 pm

Hi Alan, Where is the timeout located? Julien.
Julien Langou

Postby airwin » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:12 pm

Hi Julien:

I believe our last contact (concerning a quadruple precision version of lapack/blas that I built) was in 2011, but in any case it is good to hear from you again.

I though implementing a different ctest default timeout for lapack would be trivial, but so far each solution I have tried had some annoying issue with it so I have started a discussion on the CMake mailing list about the best way of implementing this, and once that discussion concludes, I will get back to you.
airwin

Postby Julien Langou » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:30 pm

Hi Alan, Great. Thanks! Quite frankly I did not even know there was a timeout with CMAKE!! So, well, if you ever have an answer to your question, please let us know. Best wishes, Julien.
Julien Langou

Postby int128 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:12 am

The ctest has special command line parameter "--timeout xxx" where xxx is number of seconds, no need to put this in CMake scripts of LAPACK.
int128

Return to Feature Request