Symbolic links in pre-built win32 LAPACK v3.6.0

Open discussion regarding features, bugs, issues, vendors, etc.

Symbolic links in pre-built win32 LAPACK v3.6.0

Postby blas_user » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:45 am

Hi,

I am using the pre-built win32 LAPACK v3.6.0 files made available on your website, i.e.:
libblas.lib, libblas.dll, liblapack.lib, liblapack.dll

First of all, thanks for your effort in making this available. It is much appreciated.

While I have no issues linking with these files and running my build, I do run into problems with version control using Tortoise SVN (on windows). My code project can no longer be committed to the SVN repository because the win32 LAPACK v3.6.0 files apparently introduce symbolic links - at least that's the problem Tortoise reports. I haven't been able to figure out what these links are and where they point to. But if these symlinks are built-in on your machine, it seems unlikely that they would serve any purpose on my machine. Is that right?

Admittedly, I can just remove the blas and lapack files from version control. But I would rather include them to make things less cumbersome. Also, I was wondering if the presence of symbolic links in the pre-built files is intentional and perhaps necessary. If so, could you explain why this is so?

Thanks
blas_user

Re: Symbolic links in pre-built win32 LAPACK v3.6.0

Postby admin » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:06 am

Thank you for reporting this. We did not know about it.
We did not expect generated files to be included in any source system.

You can use cmake to generate your LAPACK libray with your prefered options.
Hope that helps
julie
admin
Site Admin

Re: Symbolic links in pre-built win32 LAPACK v3.6.0

Postby blas_user » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:37 am

admin wrote:We did not expect generated files to be included in any source system.

Yes, I see what you mean. In this case, it's not for source versioning that I was trying to include it, but rather to make it easier to pull/copy the project from the repository onto another machine and not have to worry about missing dependencies. But in principle it is rather questionable to add generated files to a source repository.

In case others look this thread up later: my workaround has been to create a compressed archive of the pre-built libraries and add that to the SVN repository, so that my team members will have easy access - without me having to regenerate libraries that already function.

Regards
blas_user

Return to User Discussion