Scalapack Installer with PGI compilers

Open discussion regarding features, bugs, issues, vendors, etc.

Scalapack Installer with PGI compilers

Postby mwaldron » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:36 am

I have successfully run the Scalapack installer v0.91 using Intel compilers with MPICH. I am now trying to do the same with PGI compilers, but am getting the following error:

setup.py --mpibindir=/afs/isis/pkg/mpich/pgi/bin --mpiincdir=/afs/isis/pkg/mpich/pgi/include --downblacs --downblas --downlapack --mpicc=mpicc --mpif77=mpif77
========================================
Setting up the framework

MPI bin dir is /afs/isis/pkg/mpich/pgi/bin
MPI include dir is /afs/isis/pkg/mpich/pgi/include
mpicc is mpicc
mpif77 is mpif77
Checking if mpicc works... yes
Checking if mpif77 works... yes
Setting Fortran mangling... -DAdd_
Setting download command... urllib2
Setting ranlib command... /usr/bin/ranlib
Detecting Fortran compiler... unknown
Detecting C compiler... unknown
Selected C compiler flags: -O3
Selected Fortran77 compiler flags: -O3
Selected loader flags:
Selected NOOPT flags:
Checking loader...

COMMON: in check_linking: cannot link
Cannot link a C main program to a Fortran77 subroutine
Make sure that the appropriate flags are passed to the linker.
command is: mpif77 -o lnk tmpf.o tmpc.o
error is:
****************************************
tmpc.o: In function `main':
tmpc.c:(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `main'
/afs/isis.unc.edu/pkg/pgi-716/linux86-64/7.1-6/lib/pgfmain.o:pgfmain.c:(.text+0x0): first defined here
/usr/bin/ld: Warning: size of symbol `main' changed from 79 in /afs/isis.unc.edu/pkg/pgi-716/linux86-64/7.1-6/lib/pgfmain.o to 31 in tmpc.o
/afs/isis.unc.edu/pkg/pgi-716/linux86-64/7.1-6/lib/pgfmain.o: In function `main':
pgfmain.c:(.text+0x34): undefined reference to `MAIN_'

****************************************

It appears that the framework.py script is unable to detect the PGI compilers. Is there a workaround for this?

Mike
mwaldron
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:08 am

Re: Scalapack Installer with PGI compilers

Postby buttari » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:12 pm

mwaldron wrote:I have successfully run the Scalapack installer v0.91 using Intel compilers with MPICH. I am now trying to do the same with PGI compilers, but am getting the following error:

setup.py --mpibindir=/afs/isis/pkg/mpich/pgi/bin --mpiincdir=/afs/isis/pkg/mpich/pgi/include --downblacs --downblas --downlapack --mpicc=mpicc --mpif77=mpif77
========================================
Setting up the framework

MPI bin dir is /afs/isis/pkg/mpich/pgi/bin
MPI include dir is /afs/isis/pkg/mpich/pgi/include
mpicc is mpicc
mpif77 is mpif77
Checking if mpicc works... yes
Checking if mpif77 works... yes
Setting Fortran mangling... -DAdd_
Setting download command... urllib2
Setting ranlib command... /usr/bin/ranlib
Detecting Fortran compiler... unknown
Detecting C compiler... unknown
Selected C compiler flags: -O3
Selected Fortran77 compiler flags: -O3
Selected loader flags:
Selected NOOPT flags:
Checking loader...

COMMON: in check_linking: cannot link
Cannot link a C main program to a Fortran77 subroutine
Make sure that the appropriate flags are passed to the linker.
command is: mpif77 -o lnk tmpf.o tmpc.o
error is:
****************************************
tmpc.o: In function `main':
tmpc.c:(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `main'
/afs/isis.unc.edu/pkg/pgi-716/linux86-64/7.1-6/lib/pgfmain.o:pgfmain.c:(.text+0x0): first defined here
/usr/bin/ld: Warning: size of symbol `main' changed from 79 in /afs/isis.unc.edu/pkg/pgi-716/linux86-64/7.1-6/lib/pgfmain.o to 31 in tmpc.o
/afs/isis.unc.edu/pkg/pgi-716/linux86-64/7.1-6/lib/pgfmain.o: In function `main':
pgfmain.c:(.text+0x34): undefined reference to `MAIN_'

****************************************

It appears that the framework.py script is unable to detect the PGI compilers. Is there a workaround for this?

Mike


Hello Mike,
actually it was a pretty easy problem to solve (intel compilers have exactly the same). The reason it was not addressed was that I didn't have access to any PGI compiler. Please use the attached version of the installer. The file on the LAPACK website will be updated as soon as possible.
Thanks for informing us about this

Alfredo Buttari
Attachments
scalapack_installer.tgz
(13.87 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
buttari
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:11 pm

Re: Scalapack Installer with PGI compilers

Postby mwaldron » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:52 am

buttari wrote:
mwaldron wrote:I have successfully run the Scalapack installer v0.91 using Intel compilers with MPICH. I am now trying to do the same with PGI compilers, but am getting the following error:

setup.py --mpibindir=/afs/isis/pkg/mpich/pgi/bin --mpiincdir=/afs/isis/pkg/mpich/pgi/include --downblacs --downblas --downlapack --mpicc=mpicc --mpif77=mpif77
========================================
Setting up the framework

MPI bin dir is /afs/isis/pkg/mpich/pgi/bin
MPI include dir is /afs/isis/pkg/mpich/pgi/include
mpicc is mpicc
mpif77 is mpif77
Checking if mpicc works... yes
Checking if mpif77 works... yes
Setting Fortran mangling... -DAdd_
Setting download command... urllib2
Setting ranlib command... /usr/bin/ranlib
Detecting Fortran compiler... unknown
Detecting C compiler... unknown
Selected C compiler flags: -O3
Selected Fortran77 compiler flags: -O3
Selected loader flags:
Selected NOOPT flags:
Checking loader...

COMMON: in check_linking: cannot link
Cannot link a C main program to a Fortran77 subroutine
Make sure that the appropriate flags are passed to the linker.
command is: mpif77 -o lnk tmpf.o tmpc.o
error is:
****************************************
tmpc.o: In function `main':
tmpc.c:(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `main'
/afs/isis.unc.edu/pkg/pgi-716/linux86-64/7.1-6/lib/pgfmain.o:pgfmain.c:(.text+0x0): first defined here
/usr/bin/ld: Warning: size of symbol `main' changed from 79 in /afs/isis.unc.edu/pkg/pgi-716/linux86-64/7.1-6/lib/pgfmain.o to 31 in tmpc.o
/afs/isis.unc.edu/pkg/pgi-716/linux86-64/7.1-6/lib/pgfmain.o: In function `main':
pgfmain.c:(.text+0x34): undefined reference to `MAIN_'

****************************************

It appears that the framework.py script is unable to detect the PGI compilers. Is there a workaround for this?

Mike


Hello Mike,
actually it was a pretty easy problem to solve (intel compilers have exactly the same). The reason it was not addressed was that I didn't have access to any PGI compiler. Please use the attached version of the installer. The file on the LAPACK website will be updated as soon as possible.
Thanks for informing us about this

Alfredo Buttari


Alfredo,
Thanks for providing the updated installer. That worked just great. I did have one problem though. I got the following error when it was compiling the scalapack test routines...

========================================
ScaLAPACK installer is starting now. Buckle up!
========================================
Writing SLmake.inc... done.
Compiling ScaLAPACK... Installation of ScaLAPACK successful..
(log is in /afs/isis.unc.edu/pkg/scalapack-18/.build/@sys/src/scalapack_installer/log/scalog )
Compiling test routines...


ScaLAPACK: error building ScaLAPACK test routines
stderr:
****************************************
/usr/lib64/crt1.o: In function `_start':
(.text+0x20): undefined reference to `main'
make[1]: *** [/afs/isis.unc.edu/pkg/scalapack-18/.build/@sys/src/scalapack_installer/build/scalapack-1.8.0/TESTING/xspblas1tst] Error 2
make: *** [pblasexe] Error 2

****************************************

Have you seen this before? I'm compiling this on RedHat Enterprise Linux v5.
uname -a
Linux bc09-n13.isis.unc.edu 2.6.18-53.el5 #1 SMP Wed Oct 10 16:34:19 EDT 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thanks,
Mike
mwaldron
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:08 am

Re: Scalapack Installer with PGI compilers

Postby buttari » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:18 am

mwaldron wrote:Alfredo,
Thanks for providing the updated installer. That worked just great. I did have one problem though. I got the following error when it was compiling the scalapack test routines...

========================================
ScaLAPACK installer is starting now. Buckle up!
========================================
Writing SLmake.inc... done.
Compiling ScaLAPACK... Installation of ScaLAPACK successful..
(log is in /afs/isis.unc.edu/pkg/scalapack-18/.build/@sys/src/scalapack_installer/log/scalog )
Compiling test routines...


ScaLAPACK: error building ScaLAPACK test routines
stderr:
****************************************
/usr/lib64/crt1.o: In function `_start':
(.text+0x20): undefined reference to `main'
make[1]: *** [/afs/isis.unc.edu/pkg/scalapack-18/.build/@sys/src/scalapack_installer/build/scalapack-1.8.0/TESTING/xspblas1tst] Error 2
make: *** [pblasexe] Error 2

****************************************

Have you seen this before? I'm compiling this on RedHat Enterprise Linux v5.
uname -a
Linux bc09-n13.isis.unc.edu 2.6.18-53.el5 #1 SMP Wed Oct 10 16:34:19 EDT 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thanks,
Mike


Hello Mike,
apparently PGI compilers require different options when a C main program is linked to Fortran subroutines and vice-versa. I fixed this now (new version attached). However, the package I sent you yesterday was correctly compiling all the library just failing on the test programs.
Your feedback is very precious for us.
Thanks a lot

Alfredo
Attachments
scalapack_installer.tgz
(14.19 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
buttari
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:11 pm

Re: Scalapack Installer with PGI compilers

Postby mwaldron » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:33 pm

Alfredo,

Your latest update fixed the tester compile problem. The entire install ran without error.

Thanks again.
Mike
mwaldron
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:08 am

Re: Scalapack Installer with PGI compilers

Postby cfloare » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:03 am

Hello,
I tried to compile it using the Intel 12 compiler and I get the following error:

[cfloare@cn-smpi scalapack_installer]$ ./setup.py --lapacklib=$GOTOBLASDIR/libgoto2.a --blaslib=$GOTOBLASDIR/libgoto2.a --downblacs --mpiincdir=/opt/openmpi/1.4.3/intel/12.0intel64/include
========================================
Setting up the framework

MPI include dir is /opt/openmpi/1.4.3/intel/12.0intel64/include
Looking for MPI binaries... mpicc and mpif77 found.
mpicc : /opt/openmpi/1.4.3/intel/12.0intel64/bin/mpicc
mpif77 :/opt/openmpi/1.4.3/intel/12.0intel64/bin/mpif77
Checking if mpicc works... yes
Checking if mpif77 works... yes
Setting Fortran mangling... -DAdd_
Setting download command... wget
Using the following proxy to download: None
Testing download via proxy... working
Setting ranlib command... /usr/bin/ranlib
Detecting Fortran compiler... unknown
Detecting C compiler... unknown
Selected C compiler flags: -O3
Selected Fortran77 compiler flags: -O3
Selected loader flags (C main):
Selected loader flags (F77 main):
Selected NOOPT flags:
Checking loader...

COMMON: in check_linking: cannot link
Cannot link a C main program to a Fortran77 subroutine
Make sure that the appropriate flags are passed to the linker.
command is: /opt/openmpi/1.4.3/intel/12.0intel64/bin/mpif77 -o lnk tmpf.o tmpc.o
error is:
****************************************
ifort: command line remark #10010: option '-pthread' is deprecated and will be removed in a future release. See '-help deprecated'
ifort: command line remark #10010: option '-pthread' is deprecated and will be removed in a future release. See '-help deprecated'
tmpc.o: In function `main':
tmpc.c:(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `main'
/opt/intel/composerxe-2011.4.191/compiler/lib/intel64/for_main.o:/export/users/nbtester/efi2linux_nightly/branch-12_0/20110428_000000/libdev/frtl/src/libfor/for_main.c:(.text+0x0): first defined here
ld: Warning: size of symbol `main' changed from 80 in /opt/intel/composerxe-2011.4.191/compiler/lib/intel64/for_main.o to 64 in tmpc.o
/opt/intel/composerxe-2011.4.191/compiler/lib/intel64/libimf.so: warning: warning: feupdateenv is not implemented and will always fail
/opt/intel/composerxe-2011.4.191/compiler/lib/intel64/for_main.o: In function `main':
/export/users/nbtester/efi2linux_nightly/branch-12_0/20110428_000000/libdev/frtl/src/libfor/for_main.c:(.text+0x38): undefined reference to `MAIN__'


I tried the latest scalapack_installer.tgz from the website and the two archives posted by Alfredo and I get the same error. I'm running it on Scientific Linux SL release 5.3 (Boron).
Using also the " --fcflags=-nofor_main" did not change anything.
cfloare
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:57 am


Return to User Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests