Optimized BLACS in Windows failed

Open discussion regarding features, bugs, issues, vendors, etc.

Optimized BLACS in Windows failed

Postby Qsolver » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:42 pm

Hello,

I have built the BLACS lib and the test program (blacstest) successfully using Visual Studio 2005 (with Intel Frotran compiler 9) in a Windows 7 machine. The Win32 debug version of the test program runs fine. However, the Win32 release version hangs. I tried to disable the optimization when compiling BLACS_C and the test program (while BLACS_F, BLACS_Cinit and BLACS_Finit are still compiled with optimization), then the test program runs fine.

Does this mean some subroutines in BLACS_C can not be optimized in compilation? Or is there anything I missed in setting the VS project properties?

Thanks a lot for any suggestions.

Regards,
Qin
Qsolver

Re: Optimized BLACS in Windows failed

Postby rodney » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:51 pm

Are you using ScaLAPACK 2.0.1? In ScaLAPACK 2, the BLACS library is contained within ScaLAPACK.

I suppose it is possible for the optimizer to break something in the BLACS code that would cause one of the tests to hang, but I have not seen that happen myself.

Rodney
rodney

Postby Qsolver » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:13 pm

Rodney,

I am using ScaLAPACK 1.8.0 for Windows, which also includes BLACS. I build all the libs by myself. The optimized version in Linux works fine.

Qin
Qsolver

Postby rodney » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:57 pm

Qin,

I would either use the unoptimized 1.8 version, or try switching to the new version and see if you can get it to build on Win7. I do not have access to a Windows machine, so I haven't tried building the new version on Windows (yet).

Rodney
rodney

Return to User Discussion