Need Precompiled Binaries for VS 2008 32/64 bit Debug/Releas

Post here if you have problem using the CMAKE build process

Need Precompiled Binaries for VS 2008 32/64 bit Debug/Releas

Postby imikejackson » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:26 pm

I tried to follow the "Easy" install for windows but after fighting with MinGW nothing is working. CMake complains that the fortran compiler can not compile anything. Blah Blah. Blah. The directions on the web site are NOT clear at all. I need directions that take from "I don't have MinGW' on my system. I need to compile LAPACK/BLAS for 32 bit & 64 Bit in both Debug and Release modes for Visual Studio 2005, 2008, 2008 SP1 and VS2010. I don't see where there are any compatible precompiled binaries for any of those.

What is really needed is a full "SDK" for LAPACK/BLAS for windows. I want to download a single installation that has the Headers, Libraries, Runtime Libraries and anything else that is needed for me to actually use LAPACK/BLAS on a windows machine. The directory should be laid out as the usual "/include, /lib". That way it is much easier for someone to get up and going with LAPACK/BLAS. I don't want to download a bunch of separate libraries. I want a nice single archive to download and use. DON'T be cute and use an installer. Some users can not use installers because of permissions. Just .zip the thing up. Provide a LAPACKConfig.cmake file if possible. That would be nice.

Mike
imikejackson

Re: Need Precompiled Binaries for VS 2008 32/64 bit Debug/Re

Postby admin » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:32 pm

What do you have installed on your machine?
LAPACK is written in Fortran. That is causing a huge headache under Windows.
Under Windows, I would advice you to go with Vendors Version: ACML, INTEL MKL, etc..

Otherwise, others platform: MAC OS/X, Linux, etc.. are not having that Fortran problem.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Need Precompiled Binaries for VS 2008 32/64 bit Debug/Re

Postby imikejackson » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:36 pm

I am the primary developer for DREAM3D. (http://dream3d.bluequartz.net). We are introducing code that needs Eigen Vectors, Least Squares Fit and other Matrix Operations and Linear Algebra algorithms. I have Visual Studio 2005, 2008, 2010 installed. This is an open source project and so mandating that our developers spend $1000 on a Fortran compiler would seem like a bad idea to me. Clearly *someone* got a combined GFortan/Visual Studio to build. Between your web page and the blog post on Kitware's web site this problem was worked on. OS X comes with a LAPACK/BLAS already as does most Linux distributions so those I am less concerned with. We are split 50/50 between Windows and OS X/Linux so we really need an "OpenSource" solution to the problem. The big hang up on my end is which "exact" MinGW 64 file do I download? And will that download allow me to build 32 and 64 bit versions of LAPACK/BLAS? If I can get past MinGW then I can probably work through the rest.

Thanks
Mike Jackson
imikejackson

Return to CMAKE