Running tests fail and visual studio configuration

Open discussion for MAGMA library (Matrix Algebra on GPU and Multicore Architectures)
dannnnn

Running tests fail and visual studio configuration

Post by dannnnn » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:29 am

I have built magma in visual studio successfully in windows8.1 with cuda 6.5.

I have the following 3 questions:

1. Under my build\lib\Debug\, I got three .lib files and they are lapacktest.lib, magma.lib and testing.lib. I would like to know whether I have anything missing?

2. I tried to run some tests under build\testing\Debug\ like readme-windows indicates, However, I got system error message: "The program cannot start because mkl_intel_thread.dll is missing from your computer. Try to reinstalling the program to fix the problem" when I run such as testing_cgemm.exe. I would like to know whether I have any wrong or missing building the library and do I need to rebuild it?

3. I would like to write my own testing program to test whether my building is correct. I would like to know how I should configure the visual studio? Under the Linker->Input, I have already add those three .lib files, but I still get error when including "magma.h".

Thank you very much!

mgates3

Re: Running tests fail and visual studio configuration

Post by mgates3 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:21 pm

1. Yes, there should be just the 3 libraries that you see. magma.lib is the main library. lapacktest and testing are used only to build the testers.

2. Do you have Intel MLK installed, and did you point CMake to the correct LAPACK_LIBRARIES path and MKLROOT path? My experience is that re-running CMake and fixing those things will also require re-compiling the entire library. With make, re-compiling would not be required, just fix the make.inc file, but I believe CMake insists on re-compiling.

3. You need to also add the header include path to the MAGMA include directory, which contains magma.h. If you borrow code from the testing directory, you *might* also need to add the control and testing directories to the include path, to get testings.h, common_magma.h, etc. I don't know how to set the include path in Visual Studio, though.

-mark

dannnnn

Post by dannnnn » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:53 pm

2. I think I have MKL installed in my desktop because I have "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2015\mkl" and I set it as MKLROOT path same as readme-windows indicates.
I also set LAPACK_LIBRARIES path to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2015\mkl\lib\intel64\mkl_intel_lp64_dll.lib;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2015\mkl\lib\intel64\mkl_intel_thread_dll.lib;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2015\mkl\lib\intel64\mkl_core_dll.lib;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2015\compiler\lib\intel64\libiomp5md.lib" which also follows the readme-windows.
I actually can find mkl_intel_thread.dll under C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2015\redist\intel64\mkl, but it is not under any path I configured above. I would like to know should I add "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2015\redist\intel64\mkl" as part of the MKLROOT and recompile everything in Visual Studio?

3. I have added C:\magma\include, C:\magma\control and C:\magma\test as the external library and now I am able to include "magma.h" without error. However, visual studio shows red line under "magma_err_t err" in my test program and when I tried to compile I got the below error message:

6 IntelliSense: identifier "magma_err_t" is undefined c:\users\administrator\documents\visual studio 2010\projects\magma_test\magmatest\test.cpp 11 1 magmaTest
Error 2 error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'err' c:\users\administrator\documents\visual studio 2010\projects\magma_test\magmatest\test.cpp 11 1 magmaTest
Error 1 error C2065: 'magma_err_t' : undeclared identifier c:\users\administrator\documents\visual studio 2010\projects\magma_test\magmatest\test.cpp 11 1 magmaTest
Error 3 error C2065: 'err' : undeclared identifier c:\users\administrator\documents\visual studio 2010\projects\magma_test\magmatest\test.cpp 11 1 magmaTest
Error 4 error C2065: 'err' : undeclared identifier c:\users\administrator\documents\visual studio 2010\projects\magma_test\magmatest\test.cpp 13 1 magmaTest
Error 5 error C2065: 'err' : undeclared identifier c:\users\administrator\documents\visual studio 2010\projects\magma_test\magmatest\test.cpp 15 1 magmaTest

I would like to know did I miss anything in my program or visual studio configuration? My code(which is actually a example from Matrix computations on the GPU CUBLAS and MAGMA by example) is shown below:

Code: Select all

#include<stdlib.h>
#include<stdio.h>
#include<cmath>
#include "magma.h"

int main ( int argc , char ** argv ){
magma_init (); // initialize Magma
magma_int_t m = 1024; // length of a
float *a; // a - m- vector on the host
float *d_a; // d_a - m- vector a on the device
magma_err_t err;
// allocate the vector on the host
err = magma_smalloc_cpu ( &a , m ); // host memory for a
// allocate the vector on the device
err = magma_smalloc ( &d_a , m ); // device memory for a
// a={ sin (0) , sin (1) ,... , sin (m -1)}
for(int j=0;j<m;j++) a[j]=sin((float)j);
// copy data from host to device
magma_ssetvector ( m, a, 1 , d_a , 1 ); // copy a -> d_a
// find the smallest index of the element of d_a with maximum
// absolute value
int i = magma_isamax( m, d_a, 1 );
printf ("max |a[i]|: %f\n", fabs(a[i -1]));
printf (" fortran index : %d\n",i);
free (a); // free host memory
magma_free (d_a ); // free device memory
magma_finalize (); // finalize Magma
return 0;
}
// max |a[i]|: 0.999990
//
// fortran index : 700

I also tried to comment out all magma_err_t err related code and I will got error when do the compilation :
Error 2 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol MKL_Get_Version referenced in function magma_print_environment C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\magma_test\magmaTest\magma.lib(interface.obj) magmaTest
Error 1 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol MKL_Get_Max_Threads referenced in function magma_print_environment C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\magma_test\magmaTest\magma.lib(interface.obj) magmaTest
Error 3 error LNK1120: 2 unresolved externals C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\magma_test\x64\Debug\magmaTest.exe 1 1 magmaTest

The code comment out magma_err_t err related code is below. I would like to know does the error means in my magma.lib is not building correctly so the MKL_Get_Version is not properly referenced?

#include<stdlib.h>
#include<stdio.h>
#include<cmath>
#include "magma.h"

int main ( int argc , char ** argv ){
magma_init (); // initialize Magma
magma_int_t m = 1024; // length of a
float *a; // a - m- vector on the host
float *d_a; // d_a - m- vector a on the device 

//magma_err_t err;
// allocate the vector on the host
 magma_smalloc_cpu ( &a , m ); // host memory for a
// allocate the vector on the device
magma_smalloc ( &d_a , m ); // device memory for a
// a={ sin (0) , sin (1) ,... , sin (m -1)}
for(int j=0;j<m;j++) a[j]=sin((float)j);
// copy data from host to device
magma_ssetvector ( m, a, 1 , d_a , 1 ); // copy a -> d_a
// find the smallest index of the element of d_a with maximum
// absolute value
int i = magma_isamax( m, d_a, 1 );
printf ("max |a[i]|: %f\n", fabs(a[i -1]));
printf (" fortran index : %d\n",i);
free (a); // free host memory
magma_free (d_a ); // free device memory
magma_finalize (); // finalize Magma
return 0;
}
// max |a[i]|: 0.999990
//
// fortran index : 700
Last edited by dannnnn on Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mgates3

Post by mgates3 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:56 pm

The book "Matrix computations on the GPU: CUBLAS and MAGMA by example" is a bit out-of-date. We no longer use magma_err_t; simply use magma_int_t.

For free( ) you should use magma_free_cpu( ), to match the magma_smalloc_cpu( ). It will probably crash on Windows if you don't, as we use an aligned malloc, not the regular C library malloc. This changed a few versions back.

For linking, if a file such as
C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2015\mkl\lib\intel64\mkl_intel_thread_dll.lib
does not exist, then yes, you need to include the correct path to each MKL library file for your machine.

Also when you link your program, you will need to likewise link with the same MKL libraries.

Per our README-Windows, the MKL link advisor may be beneficial to figure out what libraries you need, if different than our setup.
http://software.intel.com/en-us/article ... ne-advisor

-mark

dannnnn

Post by dannnnn » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:35 am

Thanks very much for your reply! They are very useful! The above example works now.

However, I encounter another problem. I would like to use sparse-iter module in the library and I tried an example testing_dsolver.cpp under folder C:\magma\sparse-iter\test and I did add C:\magma\sparse-iter\include, C:\magma\sparse-iter\test, C:\magma\sparse-iter\control in my additional directories, but I still get linking error shown below:

Error 16 error LNK1120: 15 unresolved externals C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\magma_test\x64\Debug\magmaTest.exe magmaTest
Error 12 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol magma_d_csr_mtx referenced in function main C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\magma_test\magmaTest\testing_dsolver.obj magmaTest
Error 9 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol magma_d_mconvert referenced in function main C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\magma_test\magmaTest\testing_dsolver.obj magmaTest
Error 2 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol magma_d_mfree referenced in function main C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\magma_test\magmaTest\testing_dsolver.obj magmaTest
Error 8 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol magma_d_mtransfer referenced in function main C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\magma_test\magmaTest\testing_dsolver.obj magmaTest
Error 4 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol magma_d_solver referenced in function main C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\magma_test\magmaTest\testing_dsolver.obj magmaTest
Error 6 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol magma_d_spmv referenced in function main C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\magma_test\magmaTest\testing_dsolver.obj magmaTest
Error 5 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol magma_d_vfree referenced in function main C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\magma_test\magmaTest\testing_dsolver.obj magmaTest
Error 7 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol magma_d_vinit referenced in function main C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\magma_test\magmaTest\testing_dsolver.obj magmaTest
Error 11 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol magma_deigensolverinfo_init referenced in function main C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\magma_test\magmaTest\testing_dsolver.obj magmaTest
Error 13 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol magma_dm_5stencil referenced in function main C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\magma_test\magmaTest\testing_dsolver.obj magmaTest
Error 10 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol magma_dmscale referenced in function main C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\magma_test\magmaTest\testing_dsolver.obj magmaTest
Error 15 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol magma_dparse_opts referenced in function main C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\magma_test\magmaTest\testing_dsolver.obj magmaTest
Error 3 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol magma_dsolverinfo referenced in function main C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\magma_test\magmaTest\testing_dsolver.obj magmaTest
Error 1 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol magma_dsolverinfo_free referenced in function main C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\magma_test\magmaTest\testing_dsolver.obj magmaTest
Error 14 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol magma_dsolverinfo_init referenced in function main C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\magma_test\magmaTest\testing_dsolver.obj magmaTest

I would like to know whether I miss anything in the visual studio configuration or library installation? I noticed under folder C:\magma\sparse-iter, the readme file indicates the sparse-iter modules needs installation, but it seems like for linux and not for windows. I would like to know what steps I need to take in order to use sparse-iter module under windows? Thank you very much!
Last edited by dannnnn on Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mgates3

Post by mgates3 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:06 pm

The sparse stuff needs libmagmasparse. At the moment, I don't think this is provided in our CMake build for Windows. We'll see about providing it.
-mark

dannnnn

Post by dannnnn » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:21 pm

I also tried to run some example under folder C:\magma\testing, but got errors

1. When running example testing_ssyevd.cpp I got Assertion failed: magma_const

>=MagmaUpper, file ..\magma\control\constants.cpp, line 356.

2. When compiling example testing_ctrmm.cpp, I got compilation error shown below:

Error 7 error C3861: 'cublas_diag_const': identifier not found C:\Users

\Administrator\Desktop\testing_ctrmm.cpp 103 1 magmaTest
Error 4 error C3861: 'cublas_side_const': identifier not found C:\Users

\Administrator\Desktop\testing_ctrmm.cpp 102 1 magmaTest
Error 6 error C3861: 'cublas_trans_const': identifier not found C:\Users

\Administrator\Desktop\testing_ctrmm.cpp 103 1 magmaTest
Error 5 error C3861: 'cublas_uplo_const': identifier not found C:\Users

\Administrator\Desktop\testing_ctrmm.cpp 102 1 magmaTest
Error 9 error MSB3721: The command ""C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing

Toolkit\CUDA\v6.5\bin\nvcc.exe" -gencode=arch=compute_20,code=\"sm_20,compute_20\" --

use-local-env --cl-version 2010 -ccbin "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio

10.0\VC\bin\x86_amd64" -I"C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v6.5" -

I"C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v6.5\include" -IC:\magma\include

-IC:\magma\control -IC:\magma\test -IC:\magma\interface_cuda -IC:\magma\control -IC:

\magma\include -IC:\magma\testing -I"C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit

\CUDA\v6.5\include" -I"C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Composer XE 2015\mkl\include" -

I"C:\magma\sparse-iter\include" -I"C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA

\v6.5\include" -I"C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v6.5\include" -G

--keep-dir x64\Debug -maxrregcount=0 --machine 64 --compile -cudart static -g -

DMKL_ILP64 -D_IPP_SEQUENTIAL_DYNAMIC -DWIN32 -D_DEBUG -D_CONSOLE -D_UNICODE -DUNICODE

-Xcompiler "/EHsc /W3 /nologo /Od /Zi /RTC1 /MDd " -o x64\Debug\testing_ctrmm.cpp.obj

"C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\testing_ctrmm.cpp"" exited with code 2. C:\Program

Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\BuildCustomizations\CUDA 6.5.targets 593

10 magmaTest
10 IntelliSense: argument of type "cublasHandle_t" is incompatible with

parameter of type "char" c:\users\administrator\desktop\testing_ctrmm.cpp

102 26 magmaTest
17 IntelliSense: argument of type "magma_int_t" is incompatible with

parameter of type "cuComplex *" c:\users\administrator\desktop\testing_ctrmm.cpp

105 39 magmaTest
16 IntelliSense: argument of type "magmaFloatComplex_ptr" is incompatible

with parameter of type "int" c:\users\administrator\desktop\testing_ctrmm.cpp

105 34 magmaTest
18 IntelliSense: argument of type "magmaFloatComplex_ptr" is incompatible

with parameter of type "int" c:\users\administrator\desktop\testing_ctrmm.cpp

106 34 magmaTest
14 IntelliSense: identifier "cublas_diag_const" is undefined c:

\users\administrator\desktop\testing_ctrmm.cpp 103 59 magmaTest
11 IntelliSense: identifier "cublas_side_const" is undefined c:

\users\administrator\desktop\testing_ctrmm.cpp 102 39 magmaTest
13 IntelliSense: identifier "cublas_trans_const" is undefined c:

\users\administrator\desktop\testing_ctrmm.cpp 103 26 magmaTest
12 IntelliSense: identifier "cublas_uplo_const" is undefined c:

\users\administrator\desktop\testing_ctrmm.cpp 102 69 magmaTest
15 IntelliSense: no suitable constructor exists to convert from

"magma_int_t" to "float2" c:\users\administrator\desktop\testing_ctrmm.cpp

104 29 magmaTest
19 IntelliSense: too many arguments in function call c:\users

\administrator\desktop\testing_ctrmm.cpp 106 39 magmaTest

I notice cublas_diag_const is defined in the file blas_d.cpp under folder C:\magma

\interface_cuda. Thus, I tried include C:\magma\interface_cuda in my additional

directories, but still no luck. I would like to know what else do I need to do solve

the problem?

3. When running example testing_auxiliary.cpp, I got below result:

test_num_gpus
$MAGMA_NUM_GPUS ngpu expect
===================================
======================================================================
test_num_threads
get; parallel_numthread= 8, lapack_numthread= 4
set( 4); parallel_numthread= 8, lapack_numthread= 4 (expect 4)
set( 1); parallel_numthread= 8, lapack_numthread= 1 (expect 1)
set( 8); parallel_numthread= 8, lapack_numthread= 4 (expect 8)
WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\Desktop\testing_auxiliary.cpp:140: assertion l_nthread == 8

failed
set( 4); parallel_numthread= 8, lapack_numthread= 4 (expect 4)
Error in test_xerbla, function-specific error (info = 113)
Error in test_xerbla, function-specific error (info = 112)
Error in test_xerbla, function-specific error (info = 100)
Error in test_xerbla, function-specific error (info = 3)
Error in test_xerbla, function-specific error (info = 2)
Error in test_xerbla, function-specific error (info = 1)
No error, why is test_xerbla calling xerbla? (info = 0)
On entry to test_xerbla, parameter 1 had an illegal value (info = -1)
On entry to test_xerbla, parameter 2 had an illegal value (info = -2)
On entry to test_xerbla, parameter 3 had an illegal value (info = -3)
Error in test_xerbla, unknown error (info = -100)
Error in test_xerbla, cannot allocate memory on CPU host (info = -112)
Error in test_xerbla, cannot allocate memory on GPU device (info = -113)
1 tests failed.

Could you please help?

dannnnn

Post by dannnnn » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:36 pm

I would like to ask one more question. In the readme file of magma-sparse which shown below:

==============
INSTALLATION
==============
1) unzip the tar.gz file into some folder

2) "cd magma-x.y.z-lll/"

I would like to know in 1) what "tar.gz file" refers to? I only downloaded magma-1.6.1.tar.gz and was not able to find other tar.gz files. In the unzip magma-1.6.1.tar, I cannot find any folder named magma-x.y.z-lll according to 2).
Last edited by dannnnn on Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mgates3

Post by mgates3 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:44 pm

Which version of MAGMA are you using? Is it the latest?

1. testing_ssyevd and testing_trmm both work for me. If you have an old version of MAGMA, that could explain the issue. Otherwise, it will take some investigation of how your environment is different than ours to cause the issue.

2. cublas_diag_const is declared in include/magma_types.h, so you do not need to add interface_cuda to any include or other directories list. Again, this could be caused by an old version of MAGMA, or some difference in environment.

3. testing_auxiliary tests several different routines. One test is setting the number of threads. The behavior varies depending on whether MKL or OpenMP is used; this warns about some behavior that doesn't match the ideal, but should still produce correct results.
Another test is test_xerbla, which is the error reporting routine itself. That "error" output is normal and expected. Next time, it would be helpful to include the complete input and output, as shown below.

mint magma-trunk/testing> ./testing_auxiliary 
test_num_gpus
$MAGMA_NUM_GPUS     ngpu     expect
not set                   1       1

$MAGMA_NUM_GPUS='' is an invalid number; using 1 GPU.
                          1       1

$MAGMA_NUM_GPUS='-1' is an invalid number; using 1 GPU.
-1                        1       1

$MAGMA_NUM_GPUS='2junk' is an invalid number; using 1 GPU.
2junk                     1       1

$MAGMA_NUM_GPUS='0' is an invalid number; using 1 GPU.
0                         1       1

1                         1       1

$MAGMA_NUM_GPUS='2' exceeds MagmaMaxGPUs=8 or available GPUs=1; using 1 GPUs.
2                         1       2

$MAGMA_NUM_GPUS='4' exceeds MagmaMaxGPUs=8 or available GPUs=1; using 1 GPUs.
4                         1       4

$MAGMA_NUM_GPUS='8' exceeds MagmaMaxGPUs=8 or available GPUs=1; using 1 GPUs.
8                         1       8

$MAGMA_NUM_GPUS='16' exceeds MagmaMaxGPUs=8 or available GPUs=1; using 1 GPUs.
16                        1      16

$MAGMA_NUM_GPUS='1000' exceeds MagmaMaxGPUs=8 or available GPUs=1; using 1 GPUs.
1000                      1       1 (maxgpu)

test_num_threads
get;      parallel_numthread= 8, lapack_numthread= 1
set( 4);  parallel_numthread= 8, lapack_numthread= 1 (expect  4)
WARNING: testing_auxiliary.cpp:124: assertion l_nthread == 4 failed
set( 1);  parallel_numthread= 8, lapack_numthread= 1 (expect  1)
set( 8);  parallel_numthread= 8, lapack_numthread= 1 (expect  8)
WARNING: testing_auxiliary.cpp:140: assertion l_nthread == 8 failed
set( 1);  parallel_numthread= 8, lapack_numthread= 1 (expect  1)

using ncores=8, omp_num_threads=4

$MAGMA_NUM_THREADS  nthread  expect
not set                   8       4 (omp_threads)

WARNING: testing_auxiliary.cpp:172: assertion p_nthread == omp_threads failed
$MAGMA_NUM_THREADS='' is an invalid number; using 1 thread.
                          1       1

$MAGMA_NUM_THREADS='-1' is an invalid number; using 1 thread.
-1                        1       1

$MAGMA_NUM_THREADS='2junk' is an invalid number; using 1 thread.
2junk                     1       1

$MAGMA_NUM_THREADS='0' is an invalid number; using 1 thread.
0                         1       1

1                         1       1

2                         2       2

4                         4       4

8                         8       8

16                        8      16

1000                      8       8 (ncores)

Error in test_xerbla, function-specific error (info = 113)
Error in test_xerbla, function-specific error (info = 112)
Error in test_xerbla, function-specific error (info = 100)
Error in test_xerbla, function-specific error (info = 3)
Error in test_xerbla, function-specific error (info = 2)
Error in test_xerbla, function-specific error (info = 1)
No error, why is test_xerbla calling xerbla? (info = 0)
On entry to test_xerbla, parameter 1 had an illegal value (info = -1)
On entry to test_xerbla, parameter 2 had an illegal value (info = -2)
On entry to test_xerbla, parameter 3 had an illegal value (info = -3)
Error in test_xerbla, unknown error (info = -100)
Error in test_xerbla, cannot allocate memory on CPU host (info = -112)
Error in test_xerbla, cannot allocate memory on GPU device (info = -113)

3 tests failed.
mint magma-trunk/testing>

mgates3

Post by mgates3 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:50 pm

You have the correct tar file. The x.y.z refers to the version number, that is, 1.6.1. The -lll refers to a patch level that is occasionally added. Currently, there is no -lll.
-mark