trying to build magma-2.1.0 on Windows

Open discussion for MAGMA library (Matrix Algebra on GPU and Multicore Architectures)

Re: trying to build magma-2.1.0 on Windows

Postby Manuel__ » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:59 am

Hello
actually, I keep progressing. It's just about keeping hope... :-)

Right now, I am able to complete partially the build with Visual Studio 2010:

570>------ Skipped Build: Project: INSTALL, Configuration: Release x64 ------
570>Project not selected to build for this solution configuration
========== Build: 502 succeeded, 67 failed, 0 up-to-date, 1 skipped ==========

I obtain magma.lib in C:MAGMA\build-magma-2.2.0\lib\Release and that allows me to compile and run a simple code with magma_dgesv.
But there is no magma_sparse.lib showing up yet...

The build process goes well for several hours but, toward the end, my first "Build FAILED" occurs as follows:

131>------ Build started: Project: testing_strsv_batched, Configuration: Release x64 ------
127> Creating library C:/MAGMA/build-magma-2.2.0/testing_lib/Release/testing_zcgeqrsv_gpu.lib and object C:/MAGMA/build-magma-2.2.0/testing_lib/Release/testing_zcgeqrsv_gpu.exp
127> testing_zcgeqrsv_gpu.vcxproj -> C:\MAGMA\build-magma-2.2.0\testing\Release\testing_zcgeqrsv_gpu.exe
127>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(574,5): error MSB6006: "mt.exe" exited with code 31.

From Google searches, it seems that I should go to the project properties, then under Linker-Manisfest File, change Generate Manifest to No or something like that.

But, since life is complicated by default, there is no linker or manifest stuff in project properties - configuration properties.

Actually, that's logical since it's just about building a library. But then, what about testing_zcgeqrsv_gpu.exe and this error related to mt.exe ?

When I click on testing_zcgeqrsv_gpu then Property Pages --> Configuration Properties -> Manifest Tool -> Input and Output --> set Embed Manifest at No
and I "Build Solution" again, then at least testing_zcgeqrsv_gpu builds successfully. But there are many many more testing builds.

Well, I can make do without all the testings. I just need to obtain magma_sparse.lib, in addition to magma.lib that I have already.
Would it be possible to switch off the building of the testings ?

And how is it that I do not obtain magma_sparse.lib ? these failed testing builds should not be the cause of it and yet...
All I get is, and quite a number of times:
2>LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'lib\Release\magma_sparse.lib'

I would be very grateful if you could help me to the finish line of this marathon... ;-)

Best regards
Manuel

PS: I have just realized that Arno did not include MKL (MKLROOT not set). But I do need Magma with MKL, both for dense and sparse matrices.
Manuel__

Postby mgates3 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:28 pm

I think in VS you can select just the libraries and build just those, instead of building the entire solution. I've not encountered the problems you're describing, but I don't compile it on Windows very often.
-mark
mgates3

Postby cascacopiat » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:34 am

Hello
I am also trying to build magma in windows, without success so far.

I wonder, would it be possible for me to obtain the magma.lib and magma-sparse.lib files that you have managed to create?

They are too big to pass as email attachments, but maybe through ftp ? I am sure other people would be interested as well.

Many thanks in advance
Casca Copiat,
casti de copiat
cascacopiat

Postby Manuel__ » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:53 am

Hello Casca
I have just read your post from May 14, sorry I missed it for that long.

You can find in the "Magma in Windows with ILP64" topic that I have opened since then a detailed description of my way of building magma.lib and magma-sparse.lib in Windows with ILP64 and MKL sequential (and of my configuration as well).

There at still some problems at execution with ILP64 and certain matrix sizes. Also, it simply won't work with multithreaded MKL. I am eagerly waiting for feedback, and hopefully fixes, on these issues. Please keep an eye on the topic for further developments.

Hoping my work will help you (it was tough indeed).
Manuel
Manuel__

Previous

Return to User discussion