Running MAGMA across several GPUs on several nodes

Open discussion for MAGMA

Running MAGMA across several GPUs on several nodes

Postby hsahasra » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:32 pm

Hi,

I am working on a project which requires computation across several nodes, each equipped with a single Kepler GPU. I saw a post on this forum dated Jan 2012 stating that "... running MAGMA distributed across several GPUs on several nodes -- are of interest to the MAGMA team. ... ".

I wanted to know the status of this development so that I can decide whether we can use MAGMA or not.

Thanks!
Harshad
hsahasra

Re: Running MAGMA across several GPUs on several nodes

Postby mgates3 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:48 pm

What kinds of routines do you need to call? E.g., LU, Cholesky, QR, symmetric or nonsymmetric eigenvalues, SVD?
Another ICL project, PaRSEC has some support for distributed computing with GPUs.
http://icl.cs.utk.edu/parsec/
There has been discussion about adding distributed support to MAGMA, too, but nothing firm yet.
-mark
mgates3

Re: Running MAGMA across several GPUs on several nodes

Postby hsahasra » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:41 pm

We need to call LU factorization, symmetric or nonsymmetric eigenvalues and mat-mat multiplication.

I am working on adding an interface for MAGMA in PETSc library. I have completed work on LU factorization. Now I'm working on adding xgetrf_gpu+magma_getrs_gpu and xgemm.

I can't find any tutorial for PaRSEC/DPLASMA/DaGuE. Can you point me to any examples/tutorials?
hsahasra

Return to User discussion