Compiling/linking MAGMA on Windows 7 using MSVS 2012

Open discussion for MAGMA

Compiling/linking MAGMA on Windows 7 using MSVS 2012

Postby raffayhamid » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:13 am

Hello --

First off, big thanks for the MAGMA effort. I would however really appreciate if someone could please enlist a step-by-step procedure of how to make MAGMA work on Windows (or if there is such a list of steps, please point me to it). This would really help a whole bunch of folks who live mostly in the Windows universe.

I'm trying to build MAGMA 1.4.1 and have successfully been able to build/link/use some functions of MAGMA blas. However, I am not able to use any of the LAPACK functions. When I try to call these functions I get linker errors. I suspect this is because during the CMake generation process, I am probably not giving the right path to the lapack library (I tried giving both the library path and the library name, but neither worked). For MAGMA compilation, I am using a lapack/blas version compiled on my machine using the instructions given at: http://icl.cs.utk.edu/lapack-for-window ... k/#running. During the compilation of MAGMA, I get several linker errors related to the lapack.lib that I ask CMake to use.

Any guidance in this matter would be super appreciated!

Thanks!
-Raffay.

PS: I really hope that the organizers of MAGMA could give more attention to making the usability of this wonderful library package more easy for the Windows users.
raffayhamid

Re: Compiling/linking MAGMA on Windows 7 using MSVS 2012

Postby mgates3 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:25 pm

Instructions for MAGMA 1.4.1 are in README-Windows.
From those directions, the path should be to the lib files themselves. There may be multiple libraries required, e.g., for BLAS and LAPACK.

I suggest first compiling and linking a simple application with LAPACK only (not with MAGMA), to determine what the correct library paths are and ensure that it is working. Then try to compile MAGMA.

-mark
mgates3

Postby Hidra2000 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:35 am

When i tried using the instructions in README-Windows cmake complained that it can't find a fortran compiler.
any recommendations on which compiler to use?

also, if any one out there has managed to make a working vs project could you upload it and post a link?

Thank you.
Hidra2000

Postby mgates3 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:29 pm

For Windows, we had Intel's compiler suite and MKL installed. We have used gcc & gfortran on Linux, but have never tried with those on Windows.
-mark
mgates3

Return to User discussion