Compiling/linking MAGMA on Windows 7 using MSVS 2012

Open discussion for MAGMA

Compiling/linking MAGMA on Windows 7 using MSVS 2012

Postby raffayhamid » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:13 am

Hello --

First off, big thanks for the MAGMA effort. I would however really appreciate if someone could please enlist a step-by-step procedure of how to make MAGMA work on Windows (or if there is such a list of steps, please point me to it). This would really help a whole bunch of folks who live mostly in the Windows universe.

I'm trying to build MAGMA 1.4.1 and have successfully been able to build/link/use some functions of MAGMA blas. However, I am not able to use any of the LAPACK functions. When I try to call these functions I get linker errors. I suspect this is because during the CMake generation process, I am probably not giving the right path to the lapack library (I tried giving both the library path and the library name, but neither worked). For MAGMA compilation, I am using a lapack/blas version compiled on my machine using the instructions given at: http://icl.cs.utk.edu/lapack-for-window ... k/#running. During the compilation of MAGMA, I get several linker errors related to the lapack.lib that I ask CMake to use.

Any guidance in this matter would be super appreciated!

Thanks!
-Raffay.

PS: I really hope that the organizers of MAGMA could give more attention to making the usability of this wonderful library package more easy for the Windows users.
raffayhamid

Re: Compiling/linking MAGMA on Windows 7 using MSVS 2012

Postby mgates3 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:25 pm

Instructions for MAGMA 1.4.1 are in README-Windows.
From those directions, the path should be to the lib files themselves. There may be multiple libraries required, e.g., for BLAS and LAPACK.

I suggest first compiling and linking a simple application with LAPACK only (not with MAGMA), to determine what the correct library paths are and ensure that it is working. Then try to compile MAGMA.

-mark
mgates3

Postby honestman » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:16 pm

Dear MAGMA developers,

I just find MAGMA from internet. Thanks for your great work.
I got the error when I try to use CMake generate MSVS 2010 on Windows 7 Pro system. I follow the instruction of "readme-windows". I have Intel Fortran Complier XE 2011 SP1, MSVS 2010, CMake 2.8.11.2, and CUDA v5.5 installed. The error information is copied in the below. Would you tell me why it needs pthread.h ? I don't find the file of "pthread.h" on the computer. How do I solve it? Or where can I find compiled MAGMA lib for FORTRAN?

Thanks.

Ning

======> Start ****

Determining if files pthread.h exist failed with the following output:
Change Dir: C:/MAGMA/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

Run Build Command:C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.com CMAKE_TRY_COMPILE.sln /build Debug /project cmTryCompileExec26775900

Microsoft (R) Visual Studio Version 10.0.30319.1.

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved.

1>------ Build started: Project: cmTryCompileExec26775900, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------

1> Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 16.00.30319.01 for 80x86

1> Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

1>

1> cl /c /Zi /W3 /WX- /Od /Ob0 /Oy- /D WIN32 /D _WINDOWS /D _DEBUG /D "CMAKE_INTDIR=\"Debug\"" /D _MBCS /Gm- /RTC1 /MDd /GS /fp:precise /Zc:wchar_t /Zc:forScope /openmp /Fo"cmTryCompileExec26775900.dir\Debug\\" /Fd"C:/MAGMA/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/Debug/cmTryCompileExec26775900.pdb" /Gd /TC /analyze- /errorReport:prompt CheckIncludeFiles.c

1>

1> CheckIncludeFiles.c

1>CheckIncludeFiles.c(2): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'pthread.h': No such file or directory

========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Source:
/* */
#include <pthread.h>

int main(){return 0;}

======> End ****
honestman

Postby Hidra2000 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:35 am

When i tried using the instructions in README-Windows cmake complained that it can't find a fortran compiler.
any recommendations on which compiler to use?

also, if any one out there has managed to make a working vs project could you upload it and post a link?

Thank you.
Hidra2000

Postby mgates3 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:29 pm

For Windows, we had Intel's compiler suite and MKL installed. We have used gcc & gfortran on Linux, but have never tried with those on Windows.
-mark
mgates3

Return to User discussion