Error making libmorse_quark

Open discussion for MAGMA

Error making libmorse_quark

Postby albertotrj » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:01 pm

Hi all,

I am trying to compile the libmagma_mgpu library, but I get the following error:

icc -Wall -xHost -O3 -DADD_ -I../include -I../../../common -I../../../include -I../../../morse/include -I/opt/quark -I/opt/hwloc-1.4/include -I/opt/plasma_2.4.5/include -I/opt/lapacke/include -I/usr/include/libxml2 -c codelet_zaxpy.c -o codelet_zaxpy.o
codelet_zaxpy.c(30): error: identifier "CORE_zaxpy_quark" is undefined
QUARK_Insert_Task(options->quark, CORE_zaxpy_quark, options->task_flags,
^

compilation aborted for codelet_zaxpy.c (code 2)

It happens for all (and only) the codelet_*axpy.c files

Do anybody knows why that happens and how to solve it?
albertotrj

Re: Error making libmorse_quark

Postby mtacconi » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:02 am

I am experimenting exactly the same problem.
It seems to me that my installation of plasmalib is somewhat broken as the core_zblas.h header doesn't contain the symbol CORE_zaxpy_quark.
Further investigations with nm of the .a files shows also that that symbol is not defined within the whole plasma lib.

I'am using plasma 2.4.5 and I used the companion installer to generate the make.inc file.
I'm going to give a try to a previous version of the plasma lib
mtacconi

Postby mtacconi » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:53 pm

by using the plasma 2.4.0 I was able to work around the "CORE_zaxy_quark undefined" thing. It seems that the support to the zaxy family of BLAS routines simply disappears from the plasma-2.4.5 release.
However plasma-2.4.0 has those routines and by using it I finally got the libmagma_mgpu.a and libmorse_quark.a libraries compiled.

Still some problems getting the "timing" directory code compiled though :-S
mtacconi

Postby mateo70 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:33 pm

Hello,

The quark branch is still work in progress, so it may not compile, and it won't use GPUs.
If you want to use multi-gpus branch, you should use StarPU scheduler. A new version of MAGMA is in development to introduce a cmake compilation process, that will ease the compilation of the this library.

Concerning the axpy problem, it's due to a renaming of the function in PLASMA from axpy to geadd. A simple sed to replace the name in MAGMA should fix it.
Again, this work has been released too soon and is right now, not really user friendly. We are working on this, so that everyone can benefit from it.

Best,
Mathieu
mateo70

Return to User discussion