magma in gentoo with undefined symbols

Open discussion for MAGMA

magma in gentoo with undefined symbols

Postby bicatali » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:36 pm

i'm trying to package magma for gentoo linux. i have a patch that fixes a problem with cdotc and zdotc routine and another more risky patch that tries to fix duplicate symbols. i am not quite sure whether you want to consider them for inclusion. see:
https://github.com/gentoo-science/sci/t ... libs/magma

patches against magma-1.2.0 are under the files directory.

now, when i run "make test" which compiles program against the magma shared library, i hit two undefined routines: magma_chetrd_mgpu and magma_zhetrd_mgpu. those routines are declared as extern in cheevd_m.cpp and zheevd_m.cpp, but i could not find their definitions anywhere in the code.
should i replace them with the commented ones: magma_chetrd and magma_zhetrd?
bicatali

Re: magma in gentoo with undefined symbols

Postby mgates3 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:30 pm

[cz]heevd_m.cpp should not have been included in the release. Just ignore or remove it for now.

Thanks for the patches. We'll look through them and see what code can be cleaned up. We recently applied basically the same fix for cdotc and zdotc, which will be in the next release (coming shortly).

-mark
mgates3

Re: magma in gentoo with undefined symbols

Postby bicatali » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:48 pm

I updated the magma ebuild for Gentoo to 1.2.1 with new patches, found on the link above:
* magma-1.2.1-duplicate-symbols.patch: fix for left over duplicated symbols
* magma-1.2.1-no-cuda-driver.patch: fix to not link with -lcuda in testing

If I remove [cz]heevd_m.cpp as suggested from the src/Makefile.src and src/Makefile, I get undefined symbols from [cz]hegvd_m.cpp. I tried removed these as well, but got more undefined symbols, so I stopped here.
In Gentoo we link with LDFLAGS=-Wl,--as-needed which also helps us detecting underlinking.
The "make test" or "make lapacktest" are failing.
bicatali

Return to User discussion