Attempt to run MAGMA file

Open discussion for MAGMA

Attempt to run MAGMA file

Postby stathakis39 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:04 pm

Hi all,

A fast technical question on Magma compilation, if I may:

I'm working on 32-bit Vista, using Notepad++ and the DOS window to write programs and execute them. I added my #include files as necessary, then ran the eigenvalue solver "zgeqrf.cu"

It gave me 11 errors, asking for .lib links like "cublas," "magma_z," etc.

When I added the syntax "-lcublas" in the command line, the errors related to CUBLAS went away. I'm now down to 7 errors.

As far as I know, "-lcublas" links my program to the CUBLAS library. If that's true, I have a problem; there's no MAGMA library that I know of. So for the remaining 7 errors, should I link .h files, or is there something else wrong?

For reference, I've added the 7 errors I got:

tmpfxt_00000a7c_00000000-14_zgeqrf.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _zq_to_panel referenced in function _magma_zgeqrf
tmpfxt_00000a7c_00000000-14_zgeqrf.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _zpanel_to_q referenced in function _magma_zgeqrf
tmpfxt_00000a7c_00000000-14_zgeqrf.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _lapackf77_zlarft referenced in function _magma_zgeqrf
tmpfxt_00000a7c_00000000-14_zgeqrf.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _lapackf77_zgeqrf referenced in function _magma_zgeqrf
tmpfxt_00000a7c_00000000-14_zgeqrf.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _magma_zlarfb_gpu referenced in function _magma_zgeqrf
tmpfxt_00000a7c_00000000-14_zgeqrf.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _magma_get_zgeqrf_nb referenced in function _magma_zgeqrf
LIBCMT.lib(crt0.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _main referenced in function ___tmainCRTStartup

Thanks a bunch for any replies.
stathakis39

Re: Attempt to run MAGMA file

Postby fletchjp » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:03 pm

You do not give details of your set up.

If you have installed and built magma 1.0.0-rc2 correctly and run the makefile you should have a directory magma_1.0.0-rc2/testing which will contain compiled examples which you can run.

The example you have tried to run is not a complete program and has no main program in it.

I hope this helps.

John
fletchjp

Postby stathakis39 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:20 am

It helps, but it raises more questions than it answers.

I get that I'm not running a complete program, so I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

But how do I run the makefile? I unzipped the Magma files and put them in a folder called "Magma" under program files (C:\Magma)--I realize this may well be a mistake. Entering the command make returns this error: "'make' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

Also, which details of my setup are relevant?

Clearly, I'm missing a few things. Sorry--you can tell I'm not much of a programmer. I appreciate the help.
stathakis39

Postby fletchjp » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:56 am

Hi

I see you are on 32 bit Vista. I am not sure if it realistic to run MAGMA on 32 bit Vista. In any case you will need to be able to run CUDA for it to make sense to run MAGMA.

For CUDA see http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/cuda_home_new_uk.html

MAGMA is a set of libraries designed to make CUDA more available so that users can solve linear algebra using the compute power of the graphics card or special processor in their computer.

You will need to download and install CUDA for windows from http://developer.nvidia.com/object/cuda ... loads.html

I can only be of limited help with that as I use the Linux version.

Questions for you:

Do you have a CUDA compatible graphics card - see http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/cuda_gpus_uk.html ?
If NO then there is no point trying to work with MAGMA.

How much memory does your computer have?

What is your aim in attempting to run MAGMA?

If when you have looked at this you still want to run MAGMA I guess you will need some more help.

I hope this helps

John
fletchjp

Postby stathakis39 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:13 pm

Hey, no problem. Thanks for the try. I'm going to code the mathematics from the ground up; I need a lot more C knowledge to run MAGMA than I currently have.
stathakis39

Return to User discussion