MAGMA on a GPU which is also controlling a display

Open discussion for MAGMA

MAGMA on a GPU which is also controlling a display

Postby fletchjp » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:50 am

I have just been looking into the Release Notes for CUDA 3.2.16 (The file actually says 3.2 RC2 at the top).

http://developer.download.nvidia.com/co ... _Linux.txt

I have found the following statement in the Known Issues section

Individual GPU program launches are limited to a run time of less than 5 seconds on a GPU with a display attached. Exceeding this time limit usually causes a launch failure reported through the CUDA driver or the CUDA runtime. GPUs without a display attached are not subject to the 5 second runtime restriction. For this reason it is recommended that CUDA be run on a GPU that is NOT attached to a display and does not have the Windows desktop extended onto it. In this case, the system must contain at least one NVIDIA GPU that serves as the primary graphics adapter.

I am wondering what limitations this will put on running MAGMA where there is a display linked to to the GPU.

In my own case I run the computer from another one (using NX) but also have a monitor on the GPU (which I use to see what is running using the Ubuntu System Monitor software. I do notice that the speed of the display can slow down when using the GPU for computation).

At the moment I have not found any software which I can run to monitor what the GPU is doing. Any help with that would be appreciated.

John
fletchjp

Return to User discussion