PAPI Error: vperfctr_open() returned NULL

Open discussion of PAPI.

PAPI Error: vperfctr_open() returned NULL

Postby yazdan » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:42 am

Hello,
I am a new user of papi. When I run "make test" in src directory or run any example of papi, this error is reported:

PAPI Error: vperfctr_open() returned NULL, please run perfex -i to verify your perfctr installation.

Please guide me how I can get rid of that?

I installed perfctr and when I run prefex -i, this error is reported: perfex: open perfctrs: Invalid argument.

Thanks in advance,
Fahimeh
yazdan

Re: PAPI Error: vperfctr_open() returned NULL

Postby Dan Terpstra » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:54 pm

It looks like the permissions are set wrong on your perfctr driver. Make sure dev/perfctr is set to world readable. You can also check the INSTALL file in the perfctr directory for instructions on setting permissions.
Dan Terpstra

Postby Newport_j » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:53 pm

I am also having this same problem. I installed papi_3.6.1 on my Xeon based 64 bit Centos version 6.3.

When I tried to check it with papi_avail or papi_native-avail (both in the /home/james/Desktop/papi-3.6.1/src/util directory)

i got the follwing error:

Code: Select all
[james@james utils]$ ./papi_avail
PAPI Error: vperfctr_open() returned NULL, please run perfex -i to verify your perfctr installation.
avail.c                                  FAILED
Line # 106
System error in PAPI_library_init: No such file or directory

[james@james utils]$ ./papi_native_avail
native_avail.c                           FAILED
Line # 167
System error in PAPI_library_init: No such file or directory

I am using an earlier version of papi because I wanted to use tau-2.18 with papi and papi-5.1.0 is too new for tau 2.18 or so it said during
the make install step. So I am going back to papi-3.6.1, which I believe will work with tau-2.18.

Also, it put the compiled binaries in the 3.6.1/src/utils directory. There is nothing wrong with that except,
I thought they should go in the bin directory, but the 3.61 install does not create a binary directory.

So how do I get this error out (in the first codebox) when I type papi_avail and put the bin directory in as I think it should hold all the binaries.

Also when I ran perfex -i I got the follwing:

Code: Select all
./perfex -i
perfex: open perfctrs: No such file or directory

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Newport_j
Newport_j

Postby danterpstra » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:15 pm

Have you patched your kernel with perfctr?
danterpstra

Postby Newport_j » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:13 am

No I have not. Where is the patch, what is its name (besides patch) and what kernel version should I use in the patch?

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Newport_j
Newport_j

Postby Newport_j » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:07 am

james@james perfctr-2.6.x]$ uname -r
2.6.32-358.2.1.el6.x86_64

This is my kernel so do I have to patch it with perfctr?

Newport_j
Newport_j

Postby danterpstra » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:47 am

You don't have to patch it with perfctr, because 2.6.32 supports (barely) perf_event for counter access.
However, PAPI 3.6 does not support perf_event.
So if you insist on using PAPI 3.6, you must patch your kernel with perfctr, found in papi/src/perfctr-2.6.x.
Be advised that this is deprecated software, and you can't expect much support for it.
You'd be better off in the long run using current versions of TAU and PAPI.
danterpstra

Postby tecnicosPT » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:55 am

Hi,

I have a similar problem:

My system runs Scientific Linux 6.4 x86_64 with kernel 2.6.32-358.2.1 and I have compiled PAPI-5.1.0 with only "prefix" option. I DON'T patch the kernel because I think 2.6.32 not need patching.
With this configuration, not exist /dev/perfctr device, so I can create with "mknod c 10 182 ; chmod 644 /dev/perfctr".

However, "perfex -i" returns "perfex: open perfctrs: No such device" or "perfex: open perfctrs: No such file or directory" (if I remove /dev/perfctr).

Also, if I run "papi_event_chooser NATIVE PAPI_LD_INS PAPI_SR_INS PAPI_L1_DCM", system returns "Event PAPI_L1_DCM can't be counted with others -15".

What can I do with these errors?

Thanks.
tecnicosPT

Return to General discussion