Can PAPI run in Xen VMs?

Open discussion of PAPI.

Can PAPI run in Xen VMs?

Postby klzhan » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:52 pm

Hi all,
Some Xen VMs run at a host, I want to collect performance couter data in each Xen VM. Can I use PAPI the VMs ?
Thanks
klzhan

Re: Can PAPI run in Xen VMs?

Postby danterpstra » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:41 am

A recent paper titled "Perfctr-Xen: A Framework for Performance Counter Virtualization" (portal.acm.org/ft_gateway.cfm?id=1952687&type=pdf) discusses patching the host kernel with a modified version of perfctr and then patching the guest kernel with a second modified perfctr to allow the transfer of performance counter information across the host/guest boundary. They illustrate the use of this mechanism by running PAPI tests in the guest with reasonable results.
If you're brave enough, you may want to try this approach.
danterpstra

Re: Can PAPI run in Xen VMs?

Postby klzhan » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:21 am

danterpstra wrote:A recent paper titled "Perfctr-Xen: A Framework for Performance Counter Virtualization" (portal.acm.org/ft_gateway.cfm?id=1952687&type=pdf) discusses patching the host kernel with a modified version of perfctr and then patching the guest kernel with a second modified perfctr to allow the transfer of performance counter information across the host/guest boundary. They illustrate the use of this mechanism by running PAPI tests in the guest with reasonable results.
If you're brave enough, you may want to try this approach.

Thanks, I will try.
klzhan

Return to General discussion