The problem of using PAPI

Open discussion of PAPI.

The problem of using PAPI

Postby fayindark » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:20 pm

Hi, guys!
I have two doubts here.

The first, if I want to use PAPI on the beagleboard, what can I do? It seems that if I want the PAPI supports ARM, I need to configure PAPI with libpfm4. My OS is Angstrom and it pass the configure with the command './configure --with-libpfm4', but for the testing it doesn't work. The error like this:
/usr/lib/gcc/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/4.3.3/../../../../arm-angstrom-linux-gnu
eabi/bin/ld: ../libpapi.a(papi.o): Relocations in generic ELF (EM: 3)
/usr/lib/gcc/arm-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/4.3.3/../../../../arm-angstrom-linux-gnu
../libpapi.a: could not read symbols: File in wrong format
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [api] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/papi-4.1.4/src/ctests'
make: *** [ctests] Error 2
root@beagleboard:/papi-4.1.4/src#

The second, I try to use PAPI on the virtual machine with the Ubuntu 11.04, I passed the configuration by using "./configure --with-perf-events", but when I do the test (make test), there is also an error said that "No rule to make target '../libpapi.a', needed by 'api'. Stop."

Anyone has the idea to solve these problems?
Thank you!
fayindark

Re: The problem of using PAPI

Postby vweaver1 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:15 pm

fayindark wrote:Hi, guys!
The first, if I want to use PAPI on the beagleboard, what can I do? It seems that if I want the PAPI supports ARM, I need to configure PAPI with libpfm4. My OS is Angstrom and it pass the configure with the command './configure --with-libpfm4', but for the testing it doesn't work. The error like this:

This is the kind of error you get if you are trying to link an ARM binary against x86 objects. Are you using a cross compiler? Did you forget to do a make clean on your PAPI tree after building an x86 version?

fayindark wrote:The second, I try to use PAPI on the virtual machine with the Ubuntu 11.04, I passed the configuration by using "./configure --with-perf-events", but when I do the test (make test), there is also an error said that "No rule to make target '../libpapi.a', needed by 'api'. Stop."

PAPI currently will not really work inside of a virtual machine.

Even so, it should still build. Did you do "configure" followed by "make"? Did just plain make give you any errors?
vweaver1

Postby fayindark » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:05 am

vweaver1 wrote:
fayindark wrote:Hi, guys!

This is the kind of error you get if you are trying to link an ARM binary against x86 objects. Are you using a cross compiler? Did you forget to do a make clean on your PAPI tree after building an x86 version?

fayindark wrote:The second, I try to use PAPI on the virtual machine with the Ubuntu 11.04, I passed the configuration by using "./configure --with-perf-events", but when I do the test (make test), there is also an error said that "No rule to make target '../libpapi.a', needed by 'api'. Stop."

PAPI currently will not really work inside of a virtual machine.

Even so, it should still build. Did you do "configure" followed by "make"? Did just plain make give you any errors?

Now I don't use the virtual machine but the actual environment with Ubuntu 11.04, I first make the configuration by using "./configure", this is correct. Then, I followed with the "INSTALL.txt" to make papi, but the error was like this:
cd ftests; make CC="gcc" CC_R="gcc -pthread" F77="" CFLAGS="-I.. -g -DSTATIC_PAPI_EVENTS_TABLE -DPEINCLUDE=\"libpfm4/include/perfmon/perf_event.h\" -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -DUSE_COMPILER_TLS -Wall -I/home/rong/Desktop/papi-4.1.4/src/libpfm-3.y/include -DSUBSTRATE_USES_LIBPFM -DSUBSTRATE_NAME_perf_events -Wextra" TOPTFLAGS="-O0" SMPCFLGS="" OMPCFLGS="-fopenmp" FFLAGS="-I.. -Dlinux -Wall -ffixed-line-length-132" NOOPT="" LDFLAGS=" " LIBRARY="../libpapi.a" strtest zero first second tenth description fdmemtest accum highlevel cost johnmay2 case1 case2 clockres eventname fmatrixlowpapi fmatrixpapi fmatrixpapi2 flops fmultiplex1 fmultiplex2 avail
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/rong/Desktop/papi-4.1.4/src/ftests'
I../ctests -I. -I.. -Dlinux -Wall -ffixed-line-length-132 -c ftests_util.F
make[1]: I../ctests: Command not found
make[1]: [ftests_util.o] Error 127 (ignored)
I../ctests -I. -I.. -Dlinux -Wall -ffixed-line-length-132 strtest.F do_loops.o dummy.o ftests_util.o ../libpapi.a -o strtest
make[1]: [strtest] Error 127 (ignored)
I../ctests -I. -I.. -Dlinux -Wall -ffixed-line-length-132 zero.F do_loops.o dummy.o ftests_util.o ../libpapi.a -o zero
make[1]: [zero] Error 127 (ignored)
I../ctests -I. -I.. -Dlinux -Wall -ffixed-line-length-132 first.F do_loops.o dummy.o ftests_util.o ../libpapi.a -o first
make[1]: [first] Error 127 (ignored)
I../ctests -I. -I.. -Dlinux -Wall -ffixed-line-length-132 second.F do_loops.o dummy.o ftests_util.o ../libpapi.a -o second
make[1]: [second] Error 127 (ignored)
I../ctests -I. -I.. -Dlinux -Wall -ffixed-line-length-132 tenth.F do_loops.o dummy.o ftests_util.o ../libpapi.a -o tenth
make[1]: [tenth] Error 127 (ignored)
I../ctests -I. -I.. -Dlinux -Wall -ffixed-line-length-132 description.F do_loops.o dummy.o ftests_util.o ../libpapi.a -o description
make[1]: [description] Error 127 (ignored)
I../ctests -I. -I.. -Dlinux -Wall -ffixed-line-length-132 fdmemtest.F do_loops.o dummy.o ftests_util.o ../libpapi.a -o fdmemtest
make[1]: [fdmemtest] Error 127 (ignored)
I../ctests -I. -I.. -Dlinux -Wall -ffixed-line-length-132 accum.F do_loops.o dummy.o ftests_util.o ../libpapi.a -o accum
make[1]: [accum] Error 127 (ignored)
I../ctests -I. -I.. -Dlinux -Wall -ffixed-line-length-132 highlevel.F do_loops.o dummy.o ftests_util.o ../libpapi.a -o highlevel
make[1]: [highlevel] Error 127 (ignored)
I../ctests -I. -I.. -Dlinux -Wall -ffixed-line-length-132 cost.F do_loops.o dummy.o ftests_util.o ../libpapi.a -o cost
make[1]: [cost] Error 127 (ignored)
I../ctests -I. -I.. -Dlinux -Wall -ffixed-line-length-132 johnmay2.F do_loops.o dummy.o ftests_util.o ../libpapi.a -o johnmay2
make[1]: [johnmay2] Error 127 (ignored)
I../ctests -I. -I.. -Dlinux -Wall -ffixed-line-length-132 case1.F do_loops.o dummy.o ftests_util.o ../libpapi.a -o case1
make[1]: [case1] Error 127 (ignored)
I../ctests -I. -I.. -Dlinux -Wall -ffixed-line-length-132 case2.F do_loops.o dummy.o ftests_util.o ../libpapi.a -o case2
make[1]: [case2] Error 127 (ignored)
I../ctests -I. -I.. -Dlinux -Wall -ffixed-line-length-132 clockres.F do_loops.o dummy.o ftests_util.o ../libpapi.a -o clockres
make[1]: [clockres] Error 127 (ignored)
I../ctests -I. -I.. -Dlinux -Wall -ffixed-line-length-132 eventname.F do_loops.o dummy.o ftests_util.o ../libpapi.a -o eventname
make[1]: [eventname] Error 127 (ignored)
I../ctests -I. -I.. -Dlinux -Wall -ffixed-line-length-132 fmatrixlowpapi.F do_loops.o dummy.o ftests_util.o ../libpapi.a -o fmatrixlowpapi
make[1]: [fmatrixlowpapi] Error 127 (ignored)
I../ctests -I. -I.. -Dlinux -Wall -ffixed-line-length-132 fmatrixpapi.F do_loops.o dummy.o ftests_util.o ../libpapi.a -o fmatrixpapi
make[1]: [fmatrixpapi] Error 127 (ignored)
I../ctests -I. -I.. -Dlinux -Wall -ffixed-line-length-132 fmatrixpapi2.F do_loops.o dummy.o ftests_util.o ../libpapi.a -o fmatrixpapi2
make[1]: [fmatrixpapi2] Error 127 (ignored)
I../ctests -I. -I.. -Dlinux -Wall -ffixed-line-length-132 flops.F do_loops.o dummy.o ftests_util.o ../libpapi.a -o flops
make[1]: [flops] Error 127 (ignored)
I../ctests -I. -I.. -Dlinux -Wall -ffixed-line-length-132 fmultiplex1.F do_loops.o dummy.o ftests_util.o ../libpapi.a -o fmultiplex1
make[1]: [fmultiplex1] Error 127 (ignored)
I../ctests -I. -I.. -Dlinux -Wall -ffixed-line-length-132 fmultiplex2.F do_loops.o dummy.o ftests_util.o ../libpapi.a -o fmultiplex2
make[1]: [fmultiplex2] Error 127 (ignored)
I../ctests -I. -I.. -Dlinux -Wall -ffixed-line-length-132 avail.F do_loops.o dummy.o ftests_util.o ../libpapi.a -o avail
make[1]: [avail] Error 127 (ignored)
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/rong/Desktop/papi-4.1.4/src/ftests'

What is this problem?
Thank you!
fayindark

Postby vweaver1 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:52 am

fayindark wrote:make[1]: [fmultiplex2] Error 127 (ignored)
I../ctests -I. -I.. -Dlinux -Wall -ffixed-line-length-132 avail.F do_loops.o dummy.o ftests_util.o ../libpapi.a -o avail

What is this problem?
Thank you!

These errors are because you do not have a Fortran compiler installed and can be ignored.
vweaver1

Postby fayindark » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:47 am

vweaver1 wrote:
fayindark wrote:make[1]: [fmultiplex2] Error 127 (ignored)

What is this problem?
Thank you!

These errors are because you do not have a Fortran compiler installed and can be ignored.

So, did you mean I can just ignored this and keep on using PAPI?
fayindark

Return to General discussion