Some strange results with AMD Opteron 6136

Open discussion of PAPI.

Some strange results with AMD Opteron 6136

Postby gmarko » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:57 pm

Hi,

I am profiling the LU benchmark from NPB suite by using two profiling tools with PAPI.
Although I have a lot of experience on this benchmark and the profiling tools I tried to profile it on a processor that I hadn't tried again. I profiled the following hardware counters PAPI_TOT_INS, PAPI_FP_OPS, PAPI_L2_TCM and PAPI_RES_STL.

I have access to the following machines:

1) 2 x one machine with 4 processors AMD 2.4 GHz (Opteron 6136), 8 cores / processor
2) 1 x one machine with 2 Intel X5650 3.07GHz

So I was trying to make an example of profiling and comparing the completed instructions per function while I execute the LU benchmark for 2 till 32 processes for the AMD machine.
My problem is that for two specific functions of the LU benchmark the value of the total completed instructions between the 8 and 16 processes varies a lot.

Values of the sum across the processes of the total completed instructions for the RHS function of the LU benchmark:
2 processes: 2.21e11
4 processes: 2.21e11
8 processes: 2.79e11
16 processes: 4.43e11
32 processes: 4.37e11

The variation from 8 to 16 processes is big enough. Just to mention that I have executed the LU benchmark on various different clusters and I never had this issue with other older AMD Opteron processors. So I tried the Intel machine and there was no such problem, the total completed instructions remain the same (almost). I was wondering if there is something that I don't know about this specific AMD processor and there is someone to propose me any advice or any reason about the results. I have the issue on both machines which are identical and also with both profiling tools so it seems not to be an issue of the tool.

Thank you!
gmarko

Return to General discussion