Confused with CentOS 5.4 PerfCTR and PAPI

Open discussion of PAPI.

Confused with CentOS 5.4 PerfCTR and PAPI

Postby EdLesMann » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:26 pm

I have been having a bit of an adventure recently trying to build PAPI on a CentOS 5.4 system. I just stepped into this world of performance counters and I have done a LOT of reading but I am the first to admit that I still have a LOT to learn. If someone can help point out where I have gone wrong or at least point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful.

First, I had problems building out perfctr which can be read about here: https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/vi ... 99&start=0
Now I have step-by-step set of instructions that will build a perfctr enabled kernel. The most up-to-date version is here: http://backedbyapenguin.wordpress.com/2 ... -and-papi/

So today I tried building out PAPI. I tried to build out 3.7.2 as that is what the programmers have used before, but I couldn't get the spec file to compile under CentOS so I decided to just go with the latest. I downloaded the 4.0.0 tar ball and applied the first patch; that went well. So then I tried compiling with a ./configure and I ended up with:
Code: Select all
configure: error: No performance monitoring interface available

At first I thought I had just pulled a bone-headed move and not booted into the proper kernel.
$ uname -a
Linux CentTest 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5.centos.plus.perfctr #1 SMP Sat Mar 6 01:20:12 EST 2010 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

But that is the right kernel! I spent about an hour reading through items I found on Google, but none of them led me anywhere useful. The only thing that looks remotely useful is the perfex which I can't get to compile nor can I seem to find a binary.

I then discovered that patch 2 was out so I tried that.
wget the diff file
patch -p1 < papi400patch2.diff

No errors there but I get the same error when I compile.

I am really not sure what is going on. I compiled the kernel with perfctr and that is indeed the kernel I am running. I installed the kernel-headers /and/ the kernel-debug files. I am using the latest CentOS plus kernel, using the latest perfctr, and using the latest PAPI. What gives? Where have I gone wrong?

Thanks.
EdLesMann

Return to General discussion