PAPI-3.7.0 Cray-XT5 build issue

PAPI-3.7.0 Cray-XT5 build issue

Postby jeg » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:11 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to build PAPI targeted for the Cray-XT5.
I load in the Cray-XT5 programming environment and then build for running on the compute nodes.

I'm using this configure line:

./configure --prefix=/users/jeg/oss/cray-xt5 --libdir=/users/jeg/oss/cray-xt5/lib64 --includedir=/users/jeg/oss/cray-xt5/include --mandir=/users/jeg/oss/cray-xt5/share/man --with-tests=ctests --enable-static-tests --enable-static --disable-shared

make[3]: Leaving directory `/gpfs/home/xt-home/jeg/current/OpenSpeedShop_ROOT/BUILD/ela1/papi-3.7.0/src/perfctr-2.6.x'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/gpfs/home/xt-home/jeg/current/OpenSpeedShop_ROOT/BUILD/ela1/papi-3.7.0/src/perfctr-2.6.x'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/gpfs/home/xt-home/jeg/current/OpenSpeedShop_ROOT/BUILD/ela1/papi-3.7.0/src/perfctr-2.6.x'
mkdir -p /users/jeg/current/OpenSpeedShop_ROOT/INSTALL/ela1/papi-3.7.0-7-root/users/jeg/oss/cray-xt5/lib64
cp -p libpapi.so /users/jeg/current/OpenSpeedShop_ROOT/INSTALL/ela1/papi-3.7.0-7-root/users/jeg/oss/cray-xt5/lib64/libpapi.so.3.7.0
cp: cannot stat `libpapi.so': No such file or directory
make: *** [native_install] Error 1
error: Bad exit status from /users/jeg/current/OpenSpeedShop_ROOT/INSTALL/ela1/rpm-tmp.12870 (%install)

I isolated it down to this. If I comment out the 3 lines from Rules.perctr-pfm I can build successfully, but manually.

jeg@ela1:~> diff Rules.perfctr-pfm ~jeg/current/OpenSpeedShop_ROOT/BUILD/ela1//cray-xt5/papi-3.7.0/src/.
336,338c336,338
< # cp -p $(SHLIB) $(DESTDIR)$(LIBDIR)/libpapi.so.$(PAPIVER).$(PAPIREV).$(PAPIAGE)
< # cd $(DESTDIR)$(LIBDIR); ln -sf libpapi.so.$(PAPIVER).$(PAPIREV).$(PAPIAGE) libpapi.so.$(PAPIVER)
< # cd $(DESTDIR)$(LIBDIR); ln -sf libpapi.so.$(PAPIVER).$(PAPIREV).$(PAPIAGE) libpapi.so
---
> cp -p $(SHLIB) $(DESTDIR)$(LIBDIR)/libpapi.so.$(PAPIVER).$(PAPIREV).$(PAPIAGE)
> cd $(DESTDIR)$(LIBDIR); ln -sf libpapi.so.$(PAPIVER).$(PAPIREV).$(PAPIAGE) libpapi.so.$(PAPIVER)
> cd $(DESTDIR)$(LIBDIR); ln -sf libpapi.so.$(PAPIVER).$(PAPIREV).$(PAPIAGE) libpapi.so
jeg@ela1:~>

Does 3.7.0 support building for the Cray-XT5?

If so, is my configure line calling out the right options?

Thanks for the help,
Jim G
jeg

Re: PAPI-3.7.0 Cray-XT5 build issue

Postby jagode00 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:33 pm

Jim,

I load in the Cray-XT5 programming environment and then build for running on the compute nodes.

Before running configure to create the makefile that supports an XT5 build of PAPI, execute the following module commands:
% module purge
% module load pgi Base-opts
NOTE: Do not load the programming environment module (e.g. PrgEnv-pgi)

You also need to configure with "--with-perfmon=2.3" .. supposed 2.3 is the perfmon2 version on your XT5 machine. To check the CLE compute nodes for the version of perfmon2 that it supports, do:
% aprun -b -a xt cat /sys/kernel/perfmon/version
and use this version when configuring PAPI.

All this is also documented in the INSTALL.txt file.
If this doesn't solve the problem, please send us your configure log file.
Thanks,
heike.
jagode00

Re: PAPI-3.7.0 Cray-XT5 build issue

Postby jeg » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:07 am

Hi heike,

The machine I'm working on didn't have the Base-opts module but loading pgi and using the --with-perfmon=2.3 did the trick. I was able to build PAPI 3.7.0 on the FE node and execute it on the compute nodes.

Thanks
Jim G.
jeg

Return to Classic PAPI