PAPI 5.2 Xeon Phi (MIC) Cannot run papi_avail after install

PAPI 5.2 Xeon Phi (MIC) Cannot run papi_avail after install

Postby drmshake » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:30 pm

Hello,

I'm currently trying to install PAPI with MIC compatibility and I'm having some difficulty verifying the installation was a success. I followed the installation instructions and it seems I've successfully installed PAPI with MIC compatibilty; however when I try to run any of the programs in the bin folder I get the following error:
-bash: ./papi_avail: cannot execute binary file
-bash: ./papi_version: cannot execute binary file

I do not receive this error message when compiling PAPI without MIC compatibility. I've changed the file permissions with chmod just to be sure, but I believe the executable is corrupted or incorrectly generated somehow. How can I verify my installation was a success and that I have access to the MIC events?

Thanks in advance
Gary
drmshake

Re: PAPI 5.2 Xeon Phi (MIC) Cannot run papi_avail after inst

Postby James Ralph » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:45 pm

The instructions in INSTALL.txt produce a library and tooling suitable for executing in native mode, the tools are spawned in a shell on the card.

From your post I gather that you're trying to run on the host machine?
That is not going to work with code built for the MIC.

To check that everything is working, copy papi_avail to the mic's filesystem and try to execute it from the card.
Your executable is not corrupted, just not built for the host.
James Ralph

Re: PAPI 5.2 Xeon Phi (MIC) Cannot run papi_avail after inst

Postby drmshake » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:13 pm

Yes. You are right. I was trying to run Phi built binaries on the host. Moving them to the Phi worked as expected.
Thanks.
drmshake

Return to Component PAPI (PAPI-C)