PAPI for system wide profiling!

Open discussion of PAPI.

PAPI for system wide profiling!

Postby aehusain » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:36 pm

Dear All,

I am a newbie towards using PAPI interface. MY intension is to get system-wide profile information for some significant systems related to CPU, Cache and Disk. I have used Oprofile before to acheive the same task. I was wondering if using PAPI I can write a code to get system wide profile information accesing the hardware performance counters related to this system event. If yes, is this better or efficient way to do than doing it through Oprofile.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and help!

Regards,
Ata E Husain
aehusain

Re: PAPI for system wide profiling!

Postby Dan Terpstra » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:27 pm

In general, PAPI measures counter information at the process or thread level. It doesn't do system wide measurements. If you want to know specifically what your code is doing, PAPI is a great way to collect that data. If you want to measure what's happening on the whole system, Oprofile is the better choice.
Dan Terpstra

Postby aehusain » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:02 pm

Thanks Dan!
aehusain

Postby jdmccalpin » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:34 pm

If you are using the perfctr layer underneath PAPI, you can try the system wide profiling sample program in the $PERFCTR/examples/global/ directory.
The sample code is set up to report global counts for one performance monitor event for all processors every five seconds, but the details are easy to change.
jdmccalpin

Return to General discussion