Pentium 4 cache miss counters

Open discussion of PAPI.

Pentium 4 cache miss counters

Postby srinivt » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:33 pm

First of all, PAPI is awesome - thanks for the indispensable PAPI library.

I am trying to find the cache miss rates in Pentium 4 processor, but have been unsuccessful. I'm not even able to create an eventset with just the PAPI_L1_LDM event in it (or the native variant replay_event:l1_ld_miss:nbogus). Adding the event to an empty event set fails with PAPI_ECNFLCT, which is strange because the event set is just empty. PAPI_L2_LDM too fails similarly. Every other event works without any problems.

I see that someone else had a similar question in the forum, but it had no answers. I will greatly appreciate any help trying to figure this out.

-- Srini
srinivt

Re: Pentium 4 cache miss counters

Postby vweaver1 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:05 pm

srinivt wrote:I am trying to find the cache miss rates in Pentium 4 processor, but have been unsuccessful. I'm not even able to create an eventset with just the PAPI_L1_LDM event in it (or the native variant replay_event:l1_ld_miss:nbogus). Adding the event to an empty event set fails with PAPI_ECNFLCT, which is strange because the event set is just empty. PAPI_L2_LDM too fails similarly. Every other event works without any problems.

What kernel are you running? Can you post your code that gets the ECNFLCT error? What kind of results do you get if you run
"./utils/papi_command_line PAPI_L1_LDM"

On the Pentium 4 machine I have access on that seems to work.
vweaver1

Return to General discussion