PLASMA on windows with visual studio 2008

Open forum for general discussions relating to PLASMA.

PLASMA on windows with visual studio 2008

Postby andy » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:46 am

Hi,

Jakub suggested that I post my question here...

I'm using visual studio 2008 and would like to download and compile PLASMA using Visual Studio 2008 (standard edition). If you have precompiled binaries that would actually be better in my case. Can you help me get started? Thanks.

-Andy
andy

Re: PLASMA on windows with visual studio 2008

Postby yarkhan » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:04 pm

Hi Andy,

We have an initial version of PLASMA 2.0 for Windows, containing static binary libraries in 32 and 64 bit precisions. Consider this a early alpha release, since it has only been tested by a few people at ICL. Note that performance optimization has not been a priority in this release. The Windows PLASMA libraries pass all our internal accuracy tests, so the results should be correct.

You can access the Windows installers via the PLASMA web site. Select the "Software" link.
http://icl.cs.utk.edu/plasma/

The Windows port was built with Intel C and Fortran compilers using the CMake build system. The executables in the testing, examples and timing directories are statically linked with Intel MKL BLAS libraries, and all the required dependencies (e.g. Intel Fortran libraries) should be available via redistributable libraries in the lib directory. You should not need the Intel compilers or MKL to run these binaries. Please let me know if you have problems with these executables (e.g. missing library dependencies).

The examples directory contains a Makefile.nmake, which would provide an example of how you can build with Microsoft nmake using several different compilers (MS Visual C, Intel C, Intel Fortran) and several different BLAS libraries (Intel MKL, AMD ACML). You will need to install a BLAS library to use PLASMA. Please let me know of any problems you have using your BLAS library.

For the MS Visual C compiler, you will need to examine the flags and options in examples/Makefile.nmake to determine the correct settings. For our examples we have ensured that C++ mode is forced during compilation (/TP /EHsc), that the static multithreaded libraries are used (\MT) and that the linker does not try to link MSVCRT (\nodefaultlib:MSVCRT.lib).

Since I am trying to improve the Windows port, I would welcome any feedback.

Regards,
Asim
yarkhan

Re: PLASMA on windows with visual studio 2008

Postby andy » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:48 am

Thanks! I've posted my latest efforts. Please take a look.
andy

Return to User discussion