PLASMA 2.5 on Windows

Open forum for general discussions relating to PLASMA.

PLASMA 2.5 on Windows

Postby acuoci » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:11 am

Dear all,

I would like to use PLASMA 2.5 on Windows.
I already tested the PLASMA libraries on a Linux machine and I was very satisfied with its performances. But now I need to port the code also on a Windows machine.
Do you know if there are any binary packages for PLASMA 2.5 for Windows (better if for MS Visual Studio) or do you have any ideas about how to compile the libraries on Windows?

Thanks a lot.
Alberto
acuoci

Re: PLASMA 2.5 on Windows

Postby mateo70 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:31 am

We haven't generated binaries for windows yet. the person in charge was in vacation, but here is a tarball that includes the CMakeLists.txt and two configuration files for windows makes/cmake64.bat and makes/cmake32.bat
I don't know if it still works, I have tested it only on linux with dirty hack to give the libraries. That's why it has not been released.

http://icl.cs.utk.edu/projectsfiles/plasma/pubs/plasma-2.5.1-win.tar.gz

Mathieu
mateo70

Postby bniclas » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:31 am

@ acuoci:
Did you manage it to include PLASMA into Visual Studio? Do you have an example VS-Project-File for me? I wasted two days with trying compiling the PLASMA_DGESV function...
bniclas

Postby yarkhan » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:13 pm

The PLASMA library has not been built under MS C compilers, because the compilers were not C99 compliant, especially with respect to handling complex numbers. Relatively recent news is that that MS 2013 C compilers do handle C99-style complex numbers.
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2013/07/19/c99-library-support-in-visual-studio-2013.aspx
But I have not tested this version of the MS VC compiler with PLASMA.

Under Windows, we use the Intel compiler and Intel MKL libraries to build PLASMA.
I will work on generating a new set of Windows binaries using the Intel toolchain.
Asim
yarkhan

Postby fingolfin » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:38 pm

Hi,

you said:

Under Windows, we use the Intel compiler and Intel MKL libraries to build PLASMA.
I will work on generating a new set of Windows binaries using the Intel toolchain.

How do you run make under Windows? using minGW or something similar? Or is the a different method to compile it, like a *.bat file?
fingolfin

Postby yarkhan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:18 am

Under Windows we use CMake. Our standard method is to use CMake to generate nmake files, and then use Windows nmake to build PLASMA.
The CMake build files are not bundled with the standard Unix distribution, they are included with the Windows distribution (which is currently out-of-date).
Asim
yarkhan

Return to User discussion