Pinned memory for diagonalization dsygvd (Divide and conquer)

Open discussion for MAGMA library (Matrix Algebra on GPU and Multicore Architectures)
catecb

Pinned memory for diagonalization dsygvd (Divide and conquer)

Post by catecb » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:20 pm

For solving a problem of the form: AX=B
There are two options:

magma_int_t magma_dgesv (magma_int_t n, magma_int_t nrhs, double *A, magma_int_t lda, magma_int_t *ipiv, double *B, magma_int_t ldb, magma_int_t *info)

magma_int_t magma_dgesv_gpu (magma_int_t n, magma_int_t nrhs, magmaDouble_ptr dA, magma_int_t ldda, magma_int_t *ipiv, magmaDouble_ptr dB, magma_int_t lddb, magma_int_t *info)

With the latter one (magma_dgesv_gpu), I can use pinned CPU memory and async copy.

I wanted to know if there is an analogous version for the subroutine: magma_dsygvdx_m. (magma_dsygvdx_m_gpu?)

Where the magma_dsygvdx_m is called this way:

magma_dsygvdx_m (magma_int_t ngpu, magma_int_t itype, magma_vec_t jobz, magma_range_t range, magma_uplo_t uplo, magma_int_t n, double *A, magma_int_t lda, double *B, magma_int_t ldb, double vl, double vu, magma_int_t il, magma_int_t iu, magma_int_t *m, double *w, double *work, magma_int_t lwork, magma_int_t *iwork, magma_int_t liwork, magma_int_t *info)

My ultimate purpose is to reduce data transfer and improve efficiency.

mgates3

Re: Pinned memory for diagonalization dsygvd (Divide and conquer)

Post by mgates3 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:31 pm

Because of the complexity of managing an array distributed across multiple GPUs, we don't currently have a version of sygvdx_m where the matrix is given on the GPUs (i.e., sygvdx_mgpu).

I do recommend trying the 2-stage version, dsygvdx_2stage_m, which is often faster.

-mark